Slow transfer speeds between Seagate personal cloud NAS drive and USB drive

oquidave

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Hello, I have a 4TB personal cloud Seagate NAS drive. I am in the process of transferring files from my old 4TB USB 3.0 drive to the personal cloud.

So I plugin the old WD My Book drive via USB 3.0 port. Am a slightly advanced user, so from the Seagate I installed shellinabox app to give me terminal access which I gained.

When I tried to transfer big video files between the old drive and the NAS drive, I was getting surprisingly low speeds; typically something between 9-10MBps. This is surprising because the old drive is directly plugged to the NAS drive via faster USB 3.0 port which should theoretically have about 10-20Gbps speeds. Am not connecting via the network! Let me know if am doing anything wrong.

--------Screenshots
USB Attached storage: https://i.imgur.com/BZPNQHY.png
Transfer speeds: https://i.imgur.com/APixkjk.png

Solution
The *theoretical* spec for USB3.0 is 5Gbps (so 625 MB/s less overhead so closer to 500MB/s). I usually get around 120-150 MB/s for large sequential file transfer as unfortunately nothing seems to actually get close to the spec for large sequential transfers since that exceeds most HDD seq transfer capability, and that usually runs around 100-150 MB/s for most drives. With large RAID 5 arrays I can get up to 500-700 MB/s over 10GbE, so even with 6 or 7 raided enterprise drives I cannot saturate the connection.

That said, your speeds aren't even close though, 10MB/s is what I expect with USB 2 transfers. Not sure where your issue is, I would check the cable and insure that all devices are USB 3 capable. Bottom line is that you are...

RealBeast

Titan
The *theoretical* spec for USB3.0 is 5Gbps (so 625 MB/s less overhead so closer to 500MB/s). I usually get around 120-150 MB/s for large sequential file transfer as unfortunately nothing seems to actually get close to the spec for large sequential transfers since that exceeds most HDD seq transfer capability, and that usually runs around 100-150 MB/s for most drives. With large RAID 5 arrays I can get up to 500-700 MB/s over 10GbE, so even with 6 or 7 raided enterprise drives I cannot saturate the connection.

That said, your speeds aren't even close though, 10MB/s is what I expect with USB 2 transfers. Not sure where your issue is, I would check the cable and insure that all devices are USB 3 capable. Bottom line is that you are likely doing nothing wrong, just something in the transfer path letting you down.

Solution
May 21, 2019
Hi

I know this thread is slightly old but I have just found it after spending days looking online, I have exactly the same problem and I am ready for binning the NAS off.

I have the same drives (a WD 2TB and a Seagate Personal Cloud 4TB) and I cannot get them to sync in any decent time frame. I use linux and have tried using rsync and a couple of other programs and I have even plugged the two drives directly together, bypassing the PC and keeping a watchful eye on the web browser app but still no joy - please say I am not going mad!? (Oh my router is a BT HomeHub 5)