[SOLVED] Slow wifi speed over home network

Apr 8, 2020
Hello,

I have 50mbps broadband connection.
I am using TP-link AC1200 dual band wifi router to connect to wan. I get 50mbps wifi speed over 5Ghz and around 30-34 mbps wifi speed over 2.4 Ghz. Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.1. From lan port of this router, I have network wire about 40 meter long going to lan port of TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router (dhcp disabled, Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.90). From lan port this tp-link router again network wire about 20 meter long going to lan port of second TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router (dhcp disabled, Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.250). SSSID are same on all bands and devices and password is same too. Wifi speed from both tp-link routers is around 8-9 mbps. It takes a few seconds to automatically switch devices.

Why wifi speed on both tp-link devices is mere 8-9 mbps? If I connect to wan using tp-link routers, I get wifi speed of around 30-34 mbps.
Is there anything I can try to increase the wifi speed over tp-link devices?

Solution
9mbps tends to be the number you would get if the ethernet connection was only running at 10mbps. This is almost always caused by a bad cable.

Work back from your main router and unplug each router and plug your laptop in the same cable. You can see in the properties the speed the cable is connected at. Some routers have this ability also. Better if the router has this ability since bad cables can run fine on some devices but not others.

For a cable to drop to 10mbps it has to be pretty bad. Make sure your cables are not fake cables. Those flat cables tend to have massive issues like this when you try to use longer ones. Also be sure the cable is copper and not CCA cable...it should be marked on the cable.
@SainiAshok
Ethernet comes in 3 speeds (ok, I'm generalizing) 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1 Gbps. Your 8-9 Mbps connections is suspiciously close to 10 Mbps and thus I would check your Ethernet cable. Devices at either end of an Ethernet cable negotiate speed based on the quality of the link. A slower speed could indicate trouble with that link. I would start with the 40 meter cable (on the long side, but less than the 100 m limit). If it has been kinked or twisted, it may have been damaged. I would also check the ports at the devices (you can move the line to a different port).

Some routers show Ethernet speed with different indicator light combinations. Some show it in software.

You can also take a laptop and plug the Ethernet into it instead of the router and run a speed test.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

RealBeast

Titan
Hello,

I have 50mbps broadband connection.
I am using TP-link AC1200 dual band wifi router to connect to wan. I get 50mbps wifi speed over 5Ghz and around 30-34 mbps wifi speed over 2.4 Ghz. Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.1. From lan port of this router, I have network wire about 40 meter long going to lan port of TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router (dhcp disabled, Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.90). From lan port this tp-link router again network wire about 20 meter long going to lan port of second TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router (dhcp disabled, Channel width and Channel set to Auto, IP 192.168.0.250). SSSID are same on all bands and devices and password is same too. Wifi speed from both tp-link routers is around 8-9 mbps. It takes a few seconds to automatically switch devices.

Why wifi speed on both tp-link devices is mere 8-9 mbps? If I connect to wan using tp-link routers, I get wifi speed of around 30-34 mbps.
Is there anything I can try to increase the wifi speed over tp-link devices?
The router and the APs should not use auto channel, set one to channel 1,6,or11 and the others to different ones of those non-overlapping channels to avoid interference -- so use all three, but a different one on each.

And agree that you should check your cables and also insure that they do not run close to and along with power lines for any distance, which can introduce interference in the cable.

And you may want to use the same passkey but slightly different SSID so you can choose the connection, wireless devices don't always select the strongest signal and if you are moving about your routers do not support roaming (802.11k, v, r).

Reactions: anotherdrew
That is quite strange that you're only getting 8-9Mbps on the lan vs 30-34Mbps on the wan. Only thing I could think of is that there's some sort of setting on those devices that's causing this or the way that they're designed, although there shouldn't be any issue of them working just as an access point the way you have them set up.

Apr 8, 2020
I checked the wire, it reads d-link type 4 cat 6.
Plugging my wired laptop gives 8-9mbps too on first tp-link device.
For a stretch of about 10 m wire is laid near power cable few inches apart but not enclosed in pipe.
Changed channel to 1, 6, and 11.
Disabled wmm and short GI.
Changed 5 Ghz ssid.

Speed is around 9 mbps.

Last edited:
9mbps tends to be the number you would get if the ethernet connection was only running at 10mbps. This is almost always caused by a bad cable.

Work back from your main router and unplug each router and plug your laptop in the same cable. You can see in the properties the speed the cable is connected at. Some routers have this ability also. Better if the router has this ability since bad cables can run fine on some devices but not others.

For a cable to drop to 10mbps it has to be pretty bad. Make sure your cables are not fake cables. Those flat cables tend to have massive issues like this when you try to use longer ones. Also be sure the cable is copper and not CCA cable...it should be marked on the cable.

Reactions: anotherdrew
Solution
You have to remember RJ45 is just the connection type ethernet cables happen to use. Many other technologies like DSL or private PBX systems as well as many others use RJ45 connections. Key is more how the wires are arranged in the RJ45 that makes the difference.