[SOLVED] Slow wifi when 2 or more devices are connected

Mar 8, 2020
When 2 or more devices are connected to the wifi, the internet connection becomes very unstable and slow.

Some examples of what happens:
When only 2 devices are using wifi (for browsing), when loading a website, the website stays in blank for several seconds and then suddenly loads completely.
When many devices are using the internet, the website doesn't load at all.
When gaming, and with only 2 devices connected to the wifi, the ping constantly jumps to 300-1000ms.

The router has 2 wifi options, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, both are enabled. This is about the 2.4 GHz connection.
I have not tested this issue in the 5 GHz, since most devices in the house can't connect to 5 GHz.

This does not happens if connected with ethernet. Several computers are connected to the same router with ethernet, and do not experience this issue.

Internet speed with ethernet is about 100 Mpbs download and I think 50 Mpbs upload.
Internet speed with Wifi, about 10 m away from the router, is about 20 Mpbs download and 15 Mpbs upload.

The router model is Buffalo WZR-1750DHP

What could be causing this? How can I fix it?

Solution
And is there something I can do about it? And how can certain places, like universities or hotels, offer 2.4 GHz wifi to hundreds, without this issue?

They have enterprise grade networks in most cases and typically they have multiple networks that due to thick walls of those types of building generally don't interfere with each other.

As far as what you can do, first try and change your routers channel to 1, 6 or 11, pick which ever one is the least busy with devices. Do not pick any other cahnnel since those 3 channle are the only three that don't overlap.

I would also suggest buying 5 ghz USB wifi adapters (they are pretty cheap 10-20 USD) for any desktop computers to free up the 2.4 band even further. Outside of that...
That's the problem with 2.4 ghz wifi, there isnt many channels/bandwidth for devices and a lot of things interfere with it such as microwaves, wireless phones, radio transmitters (if you are close to a FM radio station) etc.

Also if you have a bunch of neighbors with wireless routers,especially if one of them put their router on anything other then 3,6 or 11 then those networks will interfere with yours.

Mar 8, 2020
That's the problem with 2.4 ghz wifi, there isnt many channels/bandwidth for devices and a lot of things interfere with it such as microwaves, wireless phones, radio transmitters (if you are close to a FM radio station) etc.

Also if you have a bunch of neighbors with wireless routers,especially if one of them put their router on anything other then 3,6 or 11 then those networks will interfere with yours.

And is there something I can do about it? And how can certain places, like universities or hotels, offer 2.4 GHz wifi to hundreds, without this issue?

They have enterprise grade networks in most cases and typically they have multiple networks that due to thick walls of those types of building generally don't interfere with each other.

As far as what you can do, first try and change your routers channel to 1, 6 or 11, pick which ever one is the least busy with devices. Do not pick any other cahnnel since those 3 channle are the only three that don't overlap.

I would also suggest buying 5 ghz USB wifi adapters (they are pretty cheap 10-20 USD) for any desktop computers to free up the 2.4 band even further. Outside of that disable power saving modes and opt for a full power off for other devices like game consoles will periodically check for game updates, weather updates etc even when in powersaving/standby modes.

There really not much else to do, 2.4ghz band has become extremely clogged hence why 5ghz and now mesh networks are replacing the technology.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
They have multiple physical WIFI sources. They also mostly use 5Ghz. You can do either (or both) of the same things for your home network.
WIFI has to share TIME among all radios. AND WIFI can only send OR receive (1/2 duplex). So with 2 clients and a router, that is 3 radios. And then the time has to be split between send and receive. So your WIFI is down to 1/6 the possible bandwidth. If you have an old device, like a wireless G device, then that slows EVERYBODY down because everybody has to wait for the slowest ( G standard ) device.