[SOLVED] Slower internet on desktop compared to laptop and phone.

Jul 30, 2020
Hello, first time poster here.

I have recently assembled a desktop PC, but it is experiencing issues with the wireless internet. I am using a dual band network card to connect to the 5ghz frequency of my modem. Both my laptop and mobile phone connect to the modem perfectly, and receive speeds of around 45-50mbps. However, my desktop PC seems to have a shorter range of connection - it only connects when I move the modem closer to it. It also experiences slower and less reliable speeds, ranging from 7-25 mpbs. I have a dual-band network card, and can't understand why it's being so outperformed by both my phone and my laptop! Thanks in advance.

Configuration:

Motherboard: AMD Socket AM4 - MSI - B450M PRO-VDH MAX

Power Supply: Seasonic Focus 550W

Network card: TP-Link Archer T4E-AC1200 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Solution
@chuster
It is often an antenna issue if you have to get close to your router (or WiFi AP) to get it to connect. The other possibility is that your computer is throwing out a lot of interference for some reason. 5GHz WiFi is faster than 2.5GHz, but does not go through walls and other obstructions as well.

1. Check that antennas are fully attached.
  2. Try not to have your computer shoved into a corner or somewhere where WiFi signals have to pass through a lot to get to your computer (like putting the computer in a metal desk).
  3. Make sure the antennas are not pointed toward your router. The strongest signals come off the sides of the antennas.
Let us know if any of this helps.
@chuster
It is often an antenna issue if you have to get close to your router (or WiFi AP) to get it to connect. The other possibility is that your computer is throwing out a lot of interference for some reason. 5GHz WiFi is faster than 2.5GHz, but does not go through walls and other obstructions as well.

1. Check that antennas are fully attached.
  2. Try not to have your computer shoved into a corner or somewhere where WiFi signals have to pass through a lot to get to your computer (like putting the computer in a metal desk).
  3. Make sure the antennas are not pointed toward your router. The strongest signals come off the sides of the antennas.
Let us know if any of this helps.

Solution