[SOLVED] Small issue with MSI B550 Tomahawk build into a Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 case.

Aug 27, 2021
Hello,

Recently me and my friend build a PC using the Silent Base 802 from Be Quiet and a MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard, the problem is all my USB's work except one Type-A port on the front part of my case, i have two Type-A usb ports and one Type-c USB port but one USB port on the front doesn't seem to get any power, i red some sites saying that the JUSB1 and JUSB2 etc need to be connected for the USB's on the front to work, i currently have JUSB4 connected. I tried to switch it with another port on the board but that doesn't seem to fit, i have also checked the USB drivers and updated the type-c one driver which had to be installed, anyone know what the problem here is? It's kind of annoying me since everything is working perfectly except for that one port, the motherboard also has the latest BIOS update.

edit: I have also went into the BIOS to see if i could find anything related to turning on USB ports but no luck there.

Here is a link with a picture to show the problematic USB port: View: https://imgur.com/a/nKk0HIO

Solution
Im going to do a RMA and try and get a replacement for it as this is a big issue for me, i regularly use the front ports for for my external HDD's and other devices, see what comes out of it.
They might do it out of the 'goodness of their hearts' but that's the sort of damage they consider user-induced and not normally covered under warranty. They may repair it for you at your expense (it's an easy repair).

But I looked into the B550 Tomahawk's manual and it does have two USB connectors right next to each other on the motherboard. Check it out, page 35, they're circled in red for you. That would at least get you functioning with both on the front panel.

Remember that each connector handles two USB ports, one on each row...
Only one of the two USB ports doesn't?

Usually the connect on the cable from the case front panel will connect both ports when attached to the header on the motherboard. The header on the board should have a short 'shell' around the pins so that you align it right, but if not look at the connector carefully as it might be possible to get it in place one row of pins off so that only one port works.

If it's on right it sounds like an issue with the case wiring.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021
Only one of the two USB ports doesn't?

Usually the connect on the cable from the case front panel will connect both ports when attached to the header on the motherboard. The header on the board should have a short 'shell' around the pins so that you align it right, but if not look at the connector carefully as it might be possible to get it in place one row of pins off so that only one port works.

If it's on right it sounds like an issue with the case wiring.
Hello,

Yes the arrow pointing on that one USB port is the one that has no power, also looking at the data sheet of the mother-board it shows this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/PMdIjmA

I'm not sure if that is the cause of the problem to be honest but it still seems strange, i'm going to check the connectors on the motherboard again. i assume the 2x USB 3.2 Gen2 10GBPS 1-type c and 1 type- A is referring to the front of the case which has those ports?

Hello,

Yes the arrow pointing on that one USB port is the one that has no power, also looking at the data sheet of the mother-board it shows this.

I'm not sure if that is the cause of the problem to be honest but it still seems strange, i'm going to check the connectors on the motherboard again. i assume the 2x USB 3.2 Gen2 10GBPS 1-type c and 1 type- A is referring to the front of the case which has those ports?
Also: look for other USB headers on the board to use.

Hello,

What I saw on their specifactions page is this:

AMD B550 Chipset
  • 3x USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps ports (1 Type-C internal connector, and 2 ports are available through the internal USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps connector)
  • 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
That tells me there should be two fully functional USB headers/connectors on the board, each wired to support two USB ports if the case front panel connector is using them.

Aug 27, 2021
What I saw on their specifactions page is this:

AMD B550 Chipset
  • 3x USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps ports (1 Type-C internal connector, and 2 ports are available through the internal USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps connector)
  • 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
That tells me there should be two fully functional USB headers/connectors on the board, each wired to support two USB ports if the case front panel connector is using them.
After taking off the panels to check the board i the left bottom side of the port had one pin completely bend downwards, i tried to slowly and carefully straighten the pin which resulted in it just breaking off, i have also checked the mobo for other connection ports to use but there are none which the blue case connector goes into as far as i know.

Aug 27, 2021
Wasnt there an issue with some of the B550 and X570 boards where the usb ports were not working so they rolled out a BIOS fix?
Yes i red about that too, but some people reported that using a specific BIOS version solved that issue, but after what i wrote to Drea.Drechsler it's not an BIOS issue anymore haha.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Aug 27, 2021
Im going to do a RMA and try and get a replacement for it as this is a big issue for me, i regularly use the front ports for for my external HDD's and other devices, see what comes out of it.

They might do it out of the 'goodness of their hearts' but that's the sort of damage they consider user-induced and not normally covered under warranty. They may repair it for you at your expense (it's an easy repair).

But I looked into the B550 Tomahawk's manual and it does have two USB connectors right next to each other on the motherboard. Check it out, page 35, they're circled in red for you. That would at least get you functioning with both on the front panel.

Remember that each connector handles two USB ports, one on each row of pins. So if your case front panel connector has two, single row segments (one for each USB port) they should both fit on one of the motherboard connectors.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2021

Remember that each connector handles two USB ports, one on each row of pins. So if your case front panel connector has two, single row segments (one for each USB port) they should both fit on one of the motherboard connectors.
I had checked the motherboard and case cable one last time before i contacted the website i bought it from for an RMA, the problem is i'm not sure whether we had already bend the pins on the very first installation because we worked pretty carefully or if it's really a case wiring issue, we'll just have to wait and see, but i'll make sure to keep that site bookmarked for future reference!