[SOLVED] SMART Status Bad, Backup and Replace - SSD

Dec 26, 2020
Hello

I turned my PC on today and I get a screen saying:

Port 1 : ADATA SX900 (this is my main boot drive)
S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to run setup

I press F1 and the PC attempts to boot but brings me back to the same exact screen after 10 seconds or so.

I’ve had this SSD for about 4.5 years(?) and I only have windows and my chrome web browser (along with other random small programs) installed on it. My questions are - Is my SSD really at the end of its life? How do I check to see if it’s really dying? I don’t have access to another PC in order to test the hard drive. If it really is dying, how do I go about moving my windows to another hard drive without being able to currently boot? Believe it or not, the day before this happened I received a new SSD as a gift. So if i do have to end up replacing my current SSD, I do have another one. How would I go about transferring my data to the new one? Note: I have no clue where my windows boot disk is as I built this PC about 5ish years ago.

If you need more information about anything, let me know in this thread and I‘ll be happy to provide in order to solve this.
Thanks!

Solution
  1. You must prepare a Windows installation USB disk. with Windows Media Creation Tool. You need a second computer to create Windows installation medium.
  2. Then you need to replace the new disk with the old disk.
  3. When you plug the USB disk, it will guide you through installation process.
  4. When the installation finishes, then you can plug in the old disk back to your computer, you will be able to restore the files then, if these files are OK. If your computer cannot boot, it does not necessarily mean that you lost all the files in that drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
I'd heed that warning and replace it.

How?
Two options, fresh install on the new drive, or clone from old to new.

Questions:
Desktop or laptop?
How much space is consumed on the current drive?
What size/make/model is the new drive?
What OS?
How long has it been since the last full reinstall?
Does everything (apart from the potential failing drive) work correctly? No software issues?

Dec 26, 2020
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
I'd heed that warning and replace it.

How?
Two options, fresh install on the new drive, or clone from old to new.

Questions:
Desktop or laptop?
How much space is consumed on the current drive?
What size/make/model is the new drive?
What OS?
How long has it been since the last full reinstall?
Does everything (apart from the potential failing drive) work correctly? No software issues?

Thanks for the response.

Answers to your questions:

Desktop
I’d say about 85% full (max 256 GB)
The new drive is 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO
Windows 10
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “since last full reinstall” but I’ve never reinstalled windows.
All software is okay.
The drive at question here IS the one I boot Windows from.

USAFRet

Titan
All conditions point to a fresh install on the new 860.

Dec 26, 2020
All conditions point to a fresh install on the new 860.

I had a feeling it would come to this.

Is it possible to have both drives installed, remove the SMART error message, boot Windows, transfer from old SSD to new SSD? Or, am I limited to a complete fresh install of Windows? If I do a complete reinstallation, will my data on other hard drives be available after installation? Also how am I supposed to reinstall without my original Windows CD?

USAFRet

Titan
I had a feeling it would come to this.

Is it possible to have both drives installed, remove the SMART error message, boot Windows, transfer from old SSD to new SSD? Or, am I limited to a complete fresh install of Windows? If I do a complete reinstallation, will my data on other hard drives be available after installation? Also how am I supposed to reinstall without my original Windows CD?
You can't remove the SMART error message. That is being passed by the actual hard drive.

You could, in theory, try booting from a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB and attempt a clone form old to new. But if the drive has failed bad enough to not even boot up, it may not be able to be read at all, or you may just be moving corrupt data from old to new.

For the clean install, you have all other drives disconnected anyway. Data on that HDD won't be touched.
You reconnect it after the OS install on the 860.

Read through that link a couple of times to get comfortable with the process.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
  1. You must prepare a Windows installation USB disk. with Windows Media Creation Tool. You need a second computer to create Windows installation medium.
  4. When the installation finishes, then you can plug in the old disk back to your computer, you will be able to restore the files then, if these files are OK. If your computer cannot boot, it does not necessarily mean that you lost all the files in that drive.

Solution
Dec 26, 2020
I am currently searching my place for a USB stick and will follow along with these steps, thank you.