[SOLVED] Sniffing the wi-fi devices with in a specified area

Jan 24, 2020
Hello guys,
I am able to sniff the wifi packets using kismet tool in linux and have no problem in that. But what I want is to detect the wifi devices within a specified range(say a 100sq.ft) or within a room. How can I do that?

Solution
So if your need is limited to just wifi you might be able to use a ubiquiti direction bridge as a spectrum analyzer. I have not used their newer equipment but the old stuff as a standard feature had the ability to see any signals in the radio band. It would see non wifi stuff say a microwave oven as well as wifi. You could use the directional antenna to locate stuff.
I know they still have this feature but I have not kept up with if there are limitations as to which end devices it works on. They all run the same OS but you will need to check if the feature works.

A actual spectrum analyzer is extremely costly mostly because they detect wide ranges of radio signals.
So if your need is limited to just wifi you might be able to use a ubiquiti direction bridge as a spectrum analyzer. I have not used their newer equipment but the old stuff as a standard feature had the ability to see any signals in the radio band. It would see non wifi stuff say a microwave oven as well as wifi. You could use the directional antenna to locate stuff.
I know they still have this feature but I have not kept up with if there are limitations as to which end devices it works on. They all run the same OS but you will need to check if the feature works.

A actual spectrum analyzer is extremely costly mostly because they detect wide ranges of radio signals.

Solution