Question So i got 6ghz idling on my 9700k

xdudu99

Honorable
Nov 23, 2018

I'm playing with my oc settings again and finaly got Intel boost 2.0 thingy working on my z390 Aorus ultra.
I got 5.1 Ghz and 4.7 Cache stable with adaptive voltage (something like 1.410 if it was locked), but if i push it to 5.2 i can get a noticeble performance boost in Cinebench R15, but not stable.
Left my pc idling yesterday and got back seeing this 6Ghz anomally, and it got me wondering if theres anything i can do to push my oc further that im not really doing, since it was able to get to 6ghz without crashing (i know its at idle, but still).
Wondering if anyone has any tips to push it maybe just to 5.2 without having unsafe voltages (and if someone could please tell me what is the safe voltage range, because i found everything between 1.35 and 1.5 as a answer online.

Cpu: i7 9700k @5.1 Ghz, Voltage at "Normal" (adaptive) -20mv; Turbo Boost Enabled, C states all enabled and maximum C state at auto, Power Limit Disabled, Speed Step and the likes all enabled.
Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Ultra Rev 1.0
Ram: 4x 8Gb Hyperx Fury HX436C17FB3K4/32 @3600Mhz 17-21-21-39 Trc 60 Trfc 631 Command Rate 1
GPU: RTX 3070 Galax SG
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S (with the 2 fans pushing towards the back of the case

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
'Idle' is just that - nothing is happening. The 6GHz is potentially a mis-read anyway, but even if it was technically accurate, it's with next to no load on the CPU at all and would've been for a split second at most - so it's functionally irrelevant.

'Safe' voltages are a matter of opinion, and will depend on the spec of the board, the cooler used and a few other factors. I don't think the generally accepted ~1.4V has changed much in years. 1.5V would be quite the stretch, IMHO.

Short of pushing more voltage, there's not much you'll be able to do to hit 5.2. Maybe an AVX offset, if you're not doing so already .

The 6GHz is potentially a mis-read
It is definitely wrong. When measured correctly the actual BCLK will not vary by 0.1 MHz.

HWINFO incorrectly shows that the BCLK reached 117.8 MHz. That did not happen. When you correct the BCLK back to 100 MHz, the total is back to the correct value, 5100 MHz.

(100.0 / 117.8) X 6009 MHz = 5101 MHz

Trying to go from 5100 MHz to 5200 MHz is only a 2% increase in speed. The extra voltage to get that stable is not worth the extra heat and stress.

Time to retire Cinebench R15. Use R23. It uses the newer AVX instructions and is a more relevant test.

Last edited: