so little treasure...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:36:48 +0200, "Diablo" <Blablabla@blablabla.bla>
> wrote:
>
> >i just finished chapter one, i have about 3k of gp
> >i must say i pick every thing up but its All like 2gp..
> >8gp... is this normal to be so little?
>
> Gold's a fairly heavy metal. Grab a couple hundred coins and you
> won't be able to carry too much more. That's the philosophy I use in
> my pen-and-paper games, so drops of 2 to 8 coins in NWN sounds
> perfectly normal to me.

<SNIP>

FYI In the real world 100 gold coins would weigh in the neighborhood of 8
pounds. This is based on the Krugerand at 1 troy oz per coin.

Windigo

Paul Fedorenko wrote:
> Gold's a fairly heavy metal. Grab a couple hundred coins and you
> won't be able to carry too much more. That's the philosophy I use in
> my pen-and-paper games, so drops of 2 to 8 coins in NWN sounds
> perfectly normal to me.
..
..
..
> Besides all that, since most towns tend to do trade with copper and
> silver coins (I think that's what the Forgotten Realms book says),

Err...have you actually *played* Neverwinter Nights?

A) GP have no weight in NWN and players can carry as much as they can
collect. I usually ended the OC with several hundred thousand in spare
gold. I've heard of people finishing with one or two million.

B) NWN has no currency other than GP.

The information in your post is fully relevant to a discussion of
treasure in traditional pen-and-paper FRPGs; but, it has little bearing
on the subject of this newsgroup, which is NWN.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:33:37 GMT, Barry Scott Will
<nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>Err...have you actually *played* Neverwinter Nights?

Sure. Quite a bit, actually. Pn a couple of persistant worlds, the
three single-player campaigns, a few downloaded modules. I've even
fiddled around with the editor a bit.

My one major complaint about the game is the way it handles gold. My
characters routinely walk around with several gold coind in their
pockets, which is rather ridiculous considering the 3rd Edition rules
list gold coins weighing 10 to the pound (or something like that, I'd
have to double-check). Which is the reason I made the point that I
made.

That, and a general bias in favour of a low-coinage game. There are
better kinds of treasure.

>B) NWN has no currency other than GP.

Yup. I was simply trying to be cute with my comment about adventurers
with wagon-loads of gold destabilizing local economies. I guess I
failed miserably. Ah well...

Paul Fedorenko wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:33:37 GMT, Barry Scott Will
> <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:
>>Err...have you actually *played* Neverwinter Nights?
> Sure. Quite a bit, actually. Pn a couple of persistant worlds, the
> three single-player campaigns, a few downloaded modules. I've even
> fiddled around with the editor a bit.
>
> My one major complaint about the game is the way it handles gold. My
> characters routinely walk around with several gold coind in their
> pockets, which is rather ridiculous considering the 3rd Edition rules
> list gold coins weighing 10 to the pound (or something like that, I'd
> have to double-check).

Just an FYI, it is 50GP to the lb.

And if any module builders are disturbed by the fact that you can carry
250,000 GP in your back pocket, try the DOA Gold Encumbrance system.
It's nicely done and can be found here:

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1074549001171.shtml

Gems suddenly become valuable instead of junk that you sell immediately.

They did get the weight for gold wrong (per 3E rules), but it is pretty
easy to fix if you know how to script.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:56:08 -0400, Paul Fedorenko
<pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote:

>I like to tease my players, actually. Let's say they've just managed
>to clear out a necromancer's tower or something. There'd be chests
>full of gold coins in the guy's storage room, but since the things
>weigh several hundred pounds each, there's no way the players are ever
>going to get away with much of it. So people learn quickly to ignore
>the coins and look for low-weight, high value items like gems and
>artwork instead.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for *Leomund's Secret Chest*, to
me. ^_^

<pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote:

>>I like to tease my players, actually. Let's say they've just managed
>>to clear out a necromancer's tower or something. There'd be chests
>>full of gold coins in the guy's storage room, but since the things
>>weigh several hundred pounds each, there's no way the players are ever
>>going to get away with much of it. So people learn quickly to ignore
>>the coins and look for low-weight, high value items like gems and
>>artwork instead.

BTW, if any NWN DM's want to try this on their players, DOA's Gold
Encumbrance system at the vault works very well. Gems in the game
suddenly turn very valuable as opposed to junk.
--
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."
- Tip from Doom3 Manual

You're the kind of DM I used to hate (Give me the money).

Best wishes
Maxon

"Maxon" <jen.magson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> You're the kind of DM I used to hate (Give me the money).

What a GM that uses the rules and a little common sense? You don't like
playing drunken dwarves that carry around every single weapon in the phb in
all sorts of slots and pockets and folds of his flab are you?

Where else do you suggest I stow stuff? In a bank perhaps?

Not seen too many of them.

I never play drunken dwarfs and if you don't stop it I'll come over there
and poke you with something sharp!

Best wishes
Maxon