Socket A to Socket 370 (FC-PGA)

G

My sister asked me to upgrade her e-Machine for as little as money as I can. It is currently running a Celeron II 566.
I was thinking of buying an AMD Duron 700 for $60. Problem is, I don't want to have to buy a new Socket A motherboard for the Duron (cuz my sis is cheap). So, is there a Socket-A to Socket-370(FC-PGA) converter??
If there is, let me know where to get one.
Thanks lots!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, but you can run the 566 at 850 by simply breaking off the BSEL0 pin. Read about it <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">HERE</A> and PM me with an email address if you need the diagrams and instructions.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

LOL, but if the 566 doesn't work right at 850, your then screwed. You might try nail polish on the pin, or clear spray enamel.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

G

No way.. why do you want to upgrade the machine ? what soft is she using ? Maybe some more ram or a new videocard can be a cheap and effective upgrade.

If you must upgrade the cpu, you have probably two options: throw in a P3 if the motherboard supports it.. Or get a new motherboard & Duron. Ca you give us the entire spec of the machine, and tell us what she uses it for ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The chances of it working are well over 90%, if you also hotwire Vid3 for increased voltage. And if you are one of the unlucky few, you only lost a $43 crappy CPU.

G

the e-machine has 128mb ram...don't think thats a problem, and she won't spend 150 a new cpu...
anyway...i already got the diagrams of the chip from intel's site...instead of breaking off the pin, im gonna try to use a thin telephone wire to insulate the pin...
im trying it as im writing this, but getting the damn micro-fibers out of the plastic casing is a pain in the ass...
well, thats what im gonna do...
tell you more if it works.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember to hotwire Vid3 to VSS. I like to solder the points together on the back of the motherboard. You will need that extra voltage, as the Celeron 566 is only 1.50v! The hotwire gives you 1.90v. Disabling Vid2 and hotwiring Vid3 at the same time give you a more reasonable 1.70v, which should also be adequate.

G

I gave up on the damn telephone wire...so i used an old earphone wire...it's a little bigger so I had to use the metal tip of a compass to make the hole bigger...it fits now but when i tried it out, it wouldn't even post...

but now that I read your last post, Crash, i guess it's cuz of the low voltage...

i feel dumb asking this question...
but Crash, can you explain more on how to hotwire the VID3 and VSS pins??? Thanks, much PROPS to you, Crash!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Two methods. The first is to take a piece of that fine headphone wire and twist it around the pins, dagging the tail out the side. A more reliable method is to remove the motherboard and solder the pins together, by making a bridge of solder between them. If you are uncomfortable with solder, try the wire first, but no garuntees that you will make a good connection that way, you may have to try several times.