Software Claims to Render Unlimited 3D Details

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leone20012

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So I get it now ATI and Nvidia will go out of business, because all we need is a fucking virtual Memory Card that exists in the ram as a program and uses the CPU!
Sounds fucking awesome because that means I wont need a 1000watts for the current energy hogging game cards.
Thus less energy consumption means less burning of fossil fuels? no?
sick! This is as exciting to me as the new memristor! look that one up too

jghidotti

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
It may not rival current rendering technologies, but its ability to render on low power devices (ie. phones) is where it may shine.

Didn't ray tracing also get swept under the rug years ago? Seems when it recently came back into the spotlight people were making the exact same arguments for/against it.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's just a data structure that gets searched through.
The scene is already presorted.
That's why it's so fast, it just searches the right pixels in the tree.

It reminds me of voxels:
The voxels works very well for static stuff.

He's saying it's something else.
I'm interested but sceptical at this point.
But I so want this to succeed.
It could making games easier.
If he could get dynamic lights and dynamic moving stuff going without problems. Then this should get an OpenGL extension(s?) on it's own.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
The fact that NVidia made a comment like "Voxels don't work and his demo sucks" (para-phrasing) just makes me think HE'S ONTO SOMETHING.
Exactly. He could be onto something. And there's always room for improvement in software.

In other words, shut up, nvidia! :)

G

I don't care if the images aren't really 'perfect', if I can get that from a singlecore CPU, imagine running this program with a quad core, and advanced lighting and effects of a graphics card?

Voxels could grant you perhaps fluid motion on netbooks and iphones/blackberries (or likes)!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
teh crappy graphics are crappy. also quite limited.

To anyone who thinks this guy is so much smarter and more creative than the brightest minds in the game and film industry and academia that he discovered a totally new rendering technique that's been missed in about 40 years of CG R&D... you have my sympathies.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
bit_user, while very unlikely its not impossible. And to all saying how materials/lights suck in his scene- they do and he openly admits it. He is saying that he found a way to display infinitely complex geometry and he is showcasing that point. If so, that is really really nice, but also kinda useless with tessellation in DX11. Still it's really nice if his process doesn't require superfast GPU to do it (unlikely).

However, my biggest gripe is with his implicit statement that he can fit 1 terabyte of info in under 1 gigabyte of RAM. It just seems physically impossible.

G

impossible. nuff said. but I'll say more anyway. you need a CPU or a modified GPU to run ANYTHING AT ALL. deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.