Software updates demand U_12.04.1 CD on my U_10.04 system

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

On wired DSL running U_10.04LTS on AMD_965 / MSI_790-gd70 system.

My Ubuntu updates "demand" I insert a U_12.04.1 cd after delivering whatever is the current set of software updates: These updates have included FFox and CUPS software.

The **ERROR MESSAGE** reads:

**Please insert the disk labeled Ubuntu 12.04.1LTS Precise Pangolin_-release in drive /cdrom/**

Of-course I reject the demand and the error message repeats ..... and I drop out of the update process. What to make of it? Does UBUNTU UPDATE really think this legacy box needs 12.04.1 software? What can I try to get UBUNTU UPDATE back on track?

I note that this problem started several -days ago (exactly) after I installed U_12.04.1 in new hardware connected to the same (AT&T) router. That new system BTW is working just fine, given the strangeness of UNITY.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
SK:

I understand that such things as "APT sources" exist, and some file(s) contain a list of them. However, I have never changed or viewed such a file myself. Where would I find them, how do I tell if it/they **point** incorrectly and if so, what command-string sets them straight? Since "they" have worked without error for three years, on my U_10.04/AMD system what **now** prompted a fault to occur?

Appreciate any insight & advice.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
SK:

Well now that your reference URL doesn't -404- I found the instructions, found a reference in the offending file **/etc/apt/sources.list** to a "deb-CD" !!!!!!!! , commented it out (#) and saved the revised file thru //sudo_gedit // , DLoaded and installed successfully the waiting updates for U_10.04.

Gawdsakes that kind of **kosmik ray** random adulteration of an important files can certainly cause havoc! Again I wonder ... what caused the change ... or worst-case what was covering up the corrupted file (behavior) for so long?

Thanks again SK. I owe you a **very old Scotch** should you ever travel thru Jacksonville Florida.