Solar eclipse - 2024

USAFRet

Titan

For those of you in the US, this may be a once in a lifetime thing.
Are you, or planning to be, in the path of totality?

XAojPuf.png

Are you planning on taking any pictures?

What equipment will you use?
Camera, filters, etc.

This is from 2017, partial 88% coverage in SouthEast Virginia.
wi1Y0H8.jpg

Blackink

Distinguished
I am closer to the red line in that picture so I'm not sure what I'll get for full totality pictures.
Using a Pentax K-50 with a 50-200mm lens with a 49mm K&F solar filter on the lens.
I'm practicing taking pictures of the sun with that set up now to get an idea of what I need for settings. That and to get familiar with the process.

I also made up a box to go over my Vortex 15 x 56 binoculars using black construction paper with some cardboard around the edge for stability and a Thousand Oaks solar filter sheet. I've looked through it already with some full sun we had on March 8th, last Friday.
Pictures of that set up here: View: https://imgur.com/a/FvOVJ0Z

If I get some good pictures, I'll post them here.

I'm just hoping for a clear sky on April 8th.
Today we got socked with 8" of heavy wet snow after having a very warm February!!! Sigh.....

Blackink

Distinguished
I got so excited with the first solar box I made, I just made another solar box for my 12 x 50 Vortex binoculars.
I'll lend this set up to my son who is even closer to the middle of the track, near the green line in the NASA link above.

And for a reference, as I look at the picture of the eclipse USAFRet posted above, the sun looks that big when I look at it through these binoculars with the solar box attached!!!

As one of the the Pointer Sisters greatest hit says:
I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it!!

Here's hoping for clear blue skies that day - April 8th!!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

USAFRet

Titan
I am closer to the red line in that picture so I'm not sure what I'll get for full totality pictures.
If you are between the red and blue, totality.

The NSO site I linked has a function to tell.
Zoom in and click on your location, and it will tell you percentage and specific times.

Here, 79.58% coverage.

Blackink

Distinguished
OK folks, I've been practicing taking pictures of the sun when it's out (a rarity here in Central Vermont these days!!!).
Trying to get ready for the Total Solar Eclipse.
Both images are cropped.
Camera is a Pentax K-50

I have 2 images, taken today, in the Imgur link: View: https://imgur.com/a/7BUUvwF

I'd like your opinion(s) on how they came out. I like the Cropped Image 2nd try over the 4th cropped image.

The solar filter on the lens is: K&F Concept 49mm ND100000 ND Camera Lens Filter,16.6-Stops Fixed Neutral Density Filter with 28 Multi-Layer Coatings Waterproof & Scratch Resistant (Nano-X Series)
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPXHSH4W?tag=pentaxforums-20&th=1

Settings for Cropped Image 2nd try (top picture): ISO - 800, Aperture - 7.1, Shutter speed - 1/500 using the 50-200mm lens
Are those sun spots I see in this image? I cleaned the solar filter on the lens before taking pictures.

Settings for 4th cropped image (bottom picture): ISO - 800, Aperture - 7.1, Shutter speed - 1/6000 using the 50-200mm lens

These pictures were taken within minutes of each other.
Tell me what you think and what I can improve on....rookie here so all tips & suggestions are welcome.

p.s. Someone suggested learning about exposure bracketing...That was a big tip!!!

Thanks,
Steve

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Indianapolis. We are expecting a near shutdown of everything when it occurs. Estimating about 500,000 people are going to come into the city.

I also witnessed the one twenty years ago at school, that was pretty neat to do as a class. And we did see the partial one a few years ago, but it was quite cloudy for us that day so it wasn't as impressive.

I think I am going to get some speaker grill or mesh from one my cases so I can make a whole bunch of little crescents on the ground.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I should see at 99% coverage from my front yard. Thinking about setting up my telescope w/sun filter.

I have an attachment to connect a smart phone to take pictures. Haven't used before. Need to figure out if it will work out. Still haven't bought a CCD.

Else, it will be the phone for me. Pixel 7 Pro.

Blackink

Distinguished
Indianapolis. We are expecting a near shutdown of everything when it occurs. Estimating about 500,000 people are going to come into the city.

I also witnessed the one twenty years ago at school, that was pretty neat to do as a class. And we did see the partial one a few years ago, but it was quite cloudy for us that day so it wasn't as impressive.

I think I am going to get some speaker grill or mesh from one my cases so I can make a whole bunch of little crescents on the ground.
The schools are shutting down here in Central and Northern Vermont that day. Agency of Transportation is putting solar signs all along the interstate to warn people.
Even trying to stay away from the main roads by navigating the backs roads will be no picnic, it's mud season here and our back/dirt roads are a mess this year.
It seems the mud season started in February and hasn't let up. The 13" of snow we just got here in Central Vermont is not helping that situation at all!!!

Reactions: 35below0

Wolfshadw

Titan
Never got to see totality, but been through a few partials. The first one was back in my elementary school days where we did the pin-hole to a mobile movie screen. It was very cool because it was still Winter and the snow took on an orange hue as the sky darkened. Of course, the faculty had taped up paper over the sun facing windows so no one could look directly at the eclipse.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
USAFRet...what were the settings on your camera? ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed? Spot metering?
If you don't mind posting that info.
Fuji X-T1 (9 years old)
Fujinon XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7 (8 years old)
Auto settings

EXIF info:
f/6.4
1/450 sec
ISO-200
Exp bias +1
Focal length 172mm
Spot metering
.jpg Fine

Next ones will be jpg + RAW, and then the RAW through Lightroom for final processing.
This one was just a quick test, to verify the filter.

Blackink

Distinguished
Fuji X-T1 (9 years old)
Fujinon XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7 (8 years old)
Auto settings

EXIF info:
f/6.4
1/450 sec
ISO-200
Exp bias +1
Focal length 172mm
Spot metering
.jpg Fine

Next ones will be jpg + RAW, and then the RAW through Lightroom for final processing.
This one was just a quick test, to verify the filter.
Thanks. Similar to what I had on my picture from above.
That was a RAW photo and I did a little processing with the Utility that comes with the Pentax Camera. Looks good from this end!!!
View: https://imgur.com/a/pR53fTP

kanewolf

Titan
Dallas, in the path of totality, may get clouds, then darker clouds ... There were reported to be 400K visitors to the area for the eclipse. Even the TV weathermen are getting pessimistic ...

Blackink

Distinguished
Right now we've got NO sun. We're getting socked with a foot of snow! And there's more to come!!!!
Monday's weather forecast with 50 degree temps and full sun can't come soon enough for me!!!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador