kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, I have a question which hasn't been solved yet. I was repasting/repading my 3090 aorus xtreme, put in all the correct pads and paste and I am rather happy with the results. The card uses a lot of thermal pads in different sizes, including the round capacitors(1mm). I repasted and repaded the previous rtx 3090, the zotac trinity, and it didn't have thermal pads on the caps. Typing in on google "do gpus need thermal pads on capacitors" only gives results regarding my specific version of card, aorus xtreme but all posts have been left unanswered. What is the theory behind them being cooled if they are not heating up?

Whats the reasoning behind this from the factory for example
Try to ask Gigabyte, maybe on a Gigabyte specific forum.

There is a couple of things I can think of - this is just guesswork from my side:

possible reason #1 : The manufacturer has taken into account extreme overheating to a degree where the solder melting, so that the caps won't fly (or sail) away on the pcb track.

possible reason #2 : They have being purchased loads of caps that are less quality and they take in account the caps may produce heat when aging.

kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Try to ask Gigabyte, maybe on a Gigabyte specific forum.

There is a couple of things I can think of - this is just guesswork from my side:

possible reason #1 : The manufacturer has taken into account extreme overheating to a degree where the solder melting, so that the caps won't fly (or sail) away on the pcb track.

possible reason #2 : They have being purchased loads of caps that are less quality and they take in account the caps may produce heat when aging.
The card really is a powerhouse tbh, having stock tdp of 450w and being able to push it to 500w. Few other brands did this in the past, like evga putting pads on caps with their high end cards. Not sure

Few other brands did this in the past, like evga putting pads on caps with their high end cards. Not sure
Well, like I said earlier - try to seek answer in a forum (or any social media channel) specific for Gigabyte products, there will hopefully be a place where someone actually has some insight into the design process and being able to give a straight answer.

I have spell my thoughts on this issue, you can agree or not agree.

kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Well, like I said earlier - try to seek answer in a forum (or any social media channel) specific for Gigabyte products, there will hopefully be a place where someone actually has some insight into the design process and being able to give a straight answer.

I have spell my thoughts on this issue, you can agree or not agree.
I agree with you, just wanted to say it seems it was a practice of some vendors in the past too