Question [SOLVED] 0%-15% GPU Utilization Solution - Use DDU (safe mode), install older version of NVIDIA drivers and jef

Mar 1, 2019
I've tested Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider (2013), Apex Legends, CS: GO, TC Wildlands, and 20-40% of my cpu is being used and around 0%-15% GPU. Disk fluctuates from 0 to 60 and memory is 48 - 60% utilization (All games listed).
I've got the latest drivers installed for Nvidia, I have tried a clean DDU (uninstalling and reinstalling), my bios is up to date 2.50 and built this PC 2 days ago. I've stressed test furmark and it uses 98-100% of my GPU and temperatures around 40
So I know that my GPU can reach to 90-100% but not while gaming? While idle it uses 0-14. I don't have an integrated card and my monitor is connected to my gpu via a display port. I've done restarts and updated windows, trying to find the cause of my low gpu is still unknown. Sooo, does anybody know why this is happening and any solid fixes? Thanks. Specs below AND YES, I've set my pc to maximum performance in Nvidia Control panel and in the power options.
2iafk28.jpg

Specs
1050ti 4gb (refurbished)
G4560 (thermal replaced)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 3000mhz
B250M PRO4
VG258Q 24"5
2 Corsair Air Series LED (positioned properly)
2 Inbuilt Case fans
750 Lite Power Gen2 Thermal Take
3TB Seagate HDD Barracuda
Ethernet Cable
Zero Dust in my case
Fractal Design Meshify (amazing airflow and cable management)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
And also, i've checked benchmark videos of these games and all are getting almost double the frames or the a bit higher with ultra settings or high, while i'm all on low 1920x1080 all low and getting just below their frames. sad

alithegreat

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Unfortunately, i don't have the same games you have so i can't tell how much they normally utilize the GPU. Most of the times GPU won't hit %100 even though your FPS is not what you wanted. ( Think bad optimization in game/OS or bottleneck somewhere else). So LOW GPU may not mean something wrong.

If your pc is at balanced power settings and not at energy saver, nothing besides the game itself should stop it from utilizing more.

1- Ask people with same games, same settings about GPU utilization.
2- When you alt-tab any fullscreen game, they usually stop using GPU , that may be causing misinformation.
3- Increase detail settings to put more load on GPU, your frame may not change much. Increasing details and resolution puts more effort on GPU, while low settings and resolution is more CPU dependant. ( You may get 40fps at 1080p low and well, 40 fps at 1080p ultra for example)

Mar 1, 2019
The thing is, i've checked bench mark videos for my system and all run flawlessly, I'm suttering and getting consistent low fps. This gpu is probably half dead tbh.

Mar 1, 2019
Ok, my GPU is at 100% now, I uninstalled my NVIDIA drivers via DDU, manually installed the 417.71 driver which is like 3 months old and didnt restart my pc. and 100 usage yay

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes. Most often With problems like this you must find the correct drivers because the latest ones are not always the best ones for you