[SOLVED] [Solved] A second or a half freeze in all games every 5 minutes

Sep 27, 2019
Hey, i am having a rather mysterious issue occour recently (started today) where whenever i play a game, it will run like usual, but about 5 minutes in, it will freeze for a second or a half, and then go back to normal, for another 5-ish minutes, in task manager i can see the CPU usage take a massive dip, along with the GPU 3D graph (but not GPU usage).

This is a recent issue on an older computer (a little more than 2 years old)

Games tested are:
Gears5
Warframe
Risk of Rain2
Brawlhalla

All of which i could previously play with no issues at all.

I have checked temps, all within normal, and usage is nothing crazy before it dips.

My specs are:
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, 8GB
CPU: Intel I7 7700k
RAM HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHz 16GB
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M5
Storage: (Main)Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Thanks alot for your time, i found the issue, i narrowed it down to only steam games and found it was related to steam downloads scheduling an update for the Destiny2 Preload every 5 minutes.
Setting a time window for the game to update fixed the issue.
Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your effort!
Sep 27, 2019
Yeah, no new hardware, uninstalled a few games over the last few weeks, updated drivers a couple weeks ago, again today hoping it would improve things but nothing. the weird thing is that it happens all the same wether the game is demanding or not, already did a scan with malwarebytes and it couldnt find anything

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It did mention that i have some processes running in the background causing some inaccuracy but its just steam and firefox, at the moment.

UserBenchmarks: Game 94%, Desk 89%, Work 65%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K - 77.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 102.1%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 103.4%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 79.7%
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2400 C15 2x8GB - 80%
MBD: MSI Z270 GAMING M5 (MS-7A78)
Nothing out of the ordinary...

The games are on the HDD, right?
Check the health of the drives with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Sep 27, 2019
Thanks alot for your time, i found the issue, i narrowed it down to only steam games and found it was related to steam downloads scheduling an update for the Destiny2 Preload every 5 minutes.

Reactions: SnowFox47
Solution
Sep 30, 2019

Thanks m8, was starting to get worried it was a PC hardware problem :sweatsmile: