[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Computer keeps freezing BUT not while gaming...!

Feb 13, 2019
Here my issue: I recently updated my system for a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU installed on a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard paired with 2x 8gb of Team Elite Plus DDR4 2400 memory. I haven't reinstalled Windows that being said because everything seemed to be working fine.

After a little while, my computer started to freeze and reboot itself for no apparent reason without a single warning while browsing on the internet (no matter what browser I was using). Even freezing while simply listening to some music. The weird part is that I can play Battlefield V for 7 hours straight without a single hic up but can't surf the internet for more than 45 minutes straight if I'm lucky!!! WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL!?!?

So far I only tried each of the memory dimm alone and both time my computer froze. On gigabyte's website there is some BIOS updates but nothing about ram compatibility or CPU.

Again, I can play for endless hours on BFV without a single issue but can't do light tasks for more than 45 minutes...

Thank you!

Solution
The "updated my system" and "haven't reinstalled Windows" immediately prompts questions. Generally speaking, if the motherboard is changed then a reinstallation of Windows is advised as there could be a lot of old drivers which no longer apply.

Strange behaviour with gaming being unaffected though.
The "updated my system" and "haven't reinstalled Windows" immediately prompts questions. Generally speaking, if the motherboard is changed then a reinstallation of Windows is advised as there could be a lot of old drivers which no longer apply.

Solution
Feb 13, 2019

Indeed, maybe I should had but yeah, gaming not affected at all really makes things really confusing about it. Do you think I should format my SSD or just reinstall Windows?

scowi3

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Have you checked the system logs for an indication of what may have caused the crashes?

Run Event Viewer and go to Windows Logs -> System and look for entries that have a red error symbol around the times you've crashed.

scowi3

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Reinstalling Windows is unlikely to help with what is most certainly a hardware issue, unless you were to install it on a new SSD, as it could well be a storage-related freeze as I have had such a problem myself with an old SSD... my system would freeze for 30s before continuing and when I checked Event Viewer's System logs I would see warning messages relating to storahci.sys. Actually, the fact that you get this whilst browsing (which would prompt writes to your SSD) but not gaming (which may not) would make me think the problem may well be related to your SSD. With mine it was an old dying drive but if yours is new it's possible that reseating or switching data/power cables would fix the problem.

Feb 13, 2019
Reinstalling Windows is unlikely to help with what is most certainly a hardware issue, unless you were to install it on a new SSD, as it could well be a storage-related freeze as I have had such a problem myself with an old SSD... my system would freeze for 30s before continuing and when I checked Event Viewer's System logs I would see warning messages relating to storahci.sys. Actually, the fact that you get this whilst browsing (which would prompt writes to your SSD) but not gaming (which may not) would make me think the problem may well be related to your SSD. With mine it was an old dying drive but if yours is new it's possible that reseating or switching data/power cables would fix the problem.
@Obakasama The only error I get is ''DistributedCOM'' and some about ''Service Control Manager''

@scowi3 My SSD was working just fine on my ''older'' rig and it is about 2 years old and an half.

THanks for your help guys!

Googling about with those two errors... the info I came across doesn't sound like they indicate a power failure or a shut down.

To eliminate the motherboard driver aspect, which I suspect is the issue, consider booting into safe mode and see if you can use the PC for those normal tasks which tend to result in a random restart.
The idea here is to get Windows to use the most basic drivers to eliminate the possibility of third party drivers being the source of the problem; if it still restarts then there's a more fundamental issue at hand. If it doesn't then I believe it's indicative of a driver issue. At least that's my reasoning for this.

Feb 13, 2019
Googling about with those two errors... the info I came across doesn't sound like they indicate a power failure or a shut down.

To eliminate the motherboard driver aspect, which I suspect is the issue, consider booting into safe mode and see if you can use the PC for those normal tasks which tend to result in a random restart.
The idea here is to get Windows to use the most basic drivers to eliminate the possibility of third party drivers being the source of the problem; if it still restarts then there's a more fundamental issue at hand. If it doesn't then I believe it's indicative of a driver issue. At least that's my reasoning for this.
Right! I'll try this today then! Thanks again!

Feb 13, 2019
@Obakasama Well, I thought I would need more time to test it in safe mode (since it usually crash within 45 mins) and it has only took less than 5 minutes to freeze on me in Safe Mode...! The computer wouldn't let me uncheck the safe mode booting, freezed on me several times in less than 5 mins (I finally managed to do it in the end)! What a freakin' mess!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
I guess I will format my SSD, reinstall windows and see what happens.

My GPU remained the same, so is the PSU, SSD and HDD. I really doubt those started to malfunction overnight. Thanks again lads!

Feb 13, 2019
Windows has been reinstalled on my SSD wish I also formated prior to that, same result... Still crashing without any warning while idling (browsing the internet, listening music etc...) but not while gaming.

The computer can run for 5 minutes, 12 or 30 minutes before crashing, it is pretty random but it never run longer than 60 minutes.

The issue persisting in safe mode would likely indicate a hardware related issue. I think it would make sense to focus on the SSD now. How is it connected to the motherboard? scowi3 mentioned using different cables to see if that would help (unless it's an m.2 form factor). Perhaps even a different SATA port to rule out a faulty port.

The other thing would be using some sort of hardware monitor to check on the drive health. You could try Crystal Disk Info as it reads that sort of data.

Feb 13, 2019
The issue persisting in safe mode would likely indicate a hardware related issue. I think it would make sense to focus on the SSD now. How is it connected to the motherboard? scowi3 mentioned using different cables to see if that would help (unless it's an m.2 form factor). Perhaps even a different SATA port to rule out a faulty port.

The other thing would be using some sort of hardware monitor to check on the drive health. You could try Crystal Disk Info as it reads that sort of data.

I aldready tried to reroute the cable on different SATA port like suggested before (with different cable) but it was no different... I'll try to run a test with Crystal Disk as you said. Thank you!

Feb 13, 2019

Well, I don't know where to glook on that Crystal Disk program, ''Health'' status is good tho.

Disc health checkers tend to read off the SMART info on the drive itself; it doesn't really do anything else. What I have found recently (with a failing HDD) is there can be discrepancies between different checkers.

Some manufacturers have their own software for error checking, which would be the next step to trying to find out whether there's anything wrong. Windows does have CHKDSK though I'm a bit reluctant to suggest it.

Whatever the reason, the problem seems to be more elusive than I'm familiar with.

Feb 13, 2019
Disc health checkers tend to read off the SMART info on the drive itself; it doesn't really do anything else. What I have found recently (with a failing HDD) is there can be discrepancies between different checkers.

Some manufacturers have their own software for error checking, which would be the next step to trying to find out whether there's anything wrong. Windows does have CHKDSK though I'm a bit reluctant to suggest it.

Whatever the reason, the problem seems to be more elusive than I'm familiar with.
My SSD is a Kingston and that company do have their own program. According to it, everything is normal and the SSD wear indicator is about 95%.
I ran the CHKDSK command and nothing in any bad sector.

Man, I'm so desperate! I don't know where to look! I played once again for 3 hours last night some BFV without any issue and after that, I browse the internet for 15 minutes and then my system crashed...

Can a PSU be unstable when not under heavy load?

I can understand the frustration as we seem to be no nearer to finding a cause. I'm just as puzzled. Still hoping others will chime in as we could have missed something.

On the PSU side, it's worth a check at this point; though I would expect gaming to be affected due to more intensive use of the graphics card drawing more power. We may as well try and rule it out though. Use something like HWiNFO and look at the voltages under the motherboard category. Voltage readings should be within 5% of the 3V and 5V readings; and 10% of the 12V reading. (If memory serves.) Anything beyond those percentages would indicate a potential issue with the PSU. BIOS might be an alternative too.

Feb 13, 2019
My SSD is a Kingston and that company do have their own program. According to it, everything is normal and the SSD wear indicator is about 95%.
I ran the CHKDSK command and nothing in any bad sector.

Can a PSU be unstable when not under heavy load?
I can understand the frustration as we seem to be no nearer to finding a cause. I'm just as puzzled. Still hoping others will chime in as we could have missed something.

On the PSU side, it's worth a check at this point; though I would expect gaming to be affected due to more intensive use of the graphics card drawing more power. We may as well try and rule it out though. Use something like HWiNFO and look at the voltages under the motherboard category. Voltage readings should be within 5% of the 3V and 5V readings; and 10% of the 12V reading. (If memory serves.) Anything beyond those percentages would indicate a potential issue with the PSU. BIOS might be an alternative too.

Ok! I'll take a look at that tonight then! Thank you Obakasama for your support! I wasn't aware of all those softwares so far! Indeed, under load, the PSU should is more pront to failing than the other way around but as I said before, I don't know where to look and what you think! Such a mess! Thanks again!

Feb 13, 2019

+3.3V : 3.444V
5V: 5.010V
+12V: 11.952V