[SOLVED] SOLVED - I messed up - RAM too fast for motherboard, any way to make it work ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
Hi everyone

So, it appears I've made a big screw up...I've been building a new system as I can get the parts together and have:

ASRock Taichi X570
Amd 5950X
Corsair 128GB RAM, specifically 3600Mhz, model number CMW128GX4M4D3600C18

The machine boots fine, but it reports only 32GB RAM, with 8GB per channel.

After a bit of head scratching and updating to the latest BIOS I've realised that I don't think the board supports the RAM, it seems like I should have been using C15/C16 at a lower Mhz instead. Oops.

I wonder what my options are now? Is it possible to undervolt the RAM to slow it down so it works in the board? (I have no idea, I've never changed from stock speeds before as I need stability for working on the machine).

Unfortunately I can't send the RAM back as I've had it for two months...being able to buy the CPU took a lot longer than I initially expected!

I'm wondering if I may have to change the board for something that supports the RAM, but I'm struggling to find one. I bought the Taichi specifically because it has 3 x M.2 drive slots and 8 SATA slots...I'll use all of those so 2 x M.2 & 6 x SATA of most boards really isn't ideal for me.

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit stuck and really need this machine built asap while I have a few days off.

Solution
Hi everyone

So, it appears I've made a big screw up...I've been building a new system as I can get the parts together and have:

ASRock Taichi X570
Amd 5950X
Corsair 128GB RAM, specifically 3600Mhz, model number CMW128GX4M4D3600C18

The machine boots fine, but it reports only 32GB RAM, with 8GB per channel.

After a bit of head scratching and updating to the latest BIOS I've realised that I don't think the board supports the RAM, it seems like I should have been using C15/C16 at a lower Mhz instead. Oops.

I wonder what my options are now? Is it possible to undervolt the RAM to slow it down so it works in the board? (I have no idea, I've never changed from stock speeds before as I need stability for working on the machine)...

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Ha ha, I managed to burn out a CPU back in the day doing that once, the smell of burning silicon still haunts me, I don't know if I dare chance that again, especially with this CPU, not easy or cheap to replace!
I should have been clearer, I meant that you can take off the heatsink, remove the RAM and put it back on "for testing" without cleaning and repasting, rather than just leaving the heatsink off...

But it seems that you have your answer via software anyway.

Good luck sorting this out with Amazon, I expect that there is an Amazon warehouse employee currently enjoying a 128GB kit of RAM, or most likely has resold it on eBay.!

Reactions: wizbit

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
a "webgainz" affiliate link? really?

I didn't post an affiliate link. Where in that URL is the affiliate info? That URL only contains the website name, product name and product number.

I went to the Crucial UK site, searched for the OP's motherboard, found a 32GB module, clicked the "Where to buy link", then chose "Ebuyer" from the list. The generated link was very long, so before posting , I shortened it to point to the product and nothing more.

Please remove those unwarranted down-votes Tommy & Bignasty.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
I didn't post an affiliate link. Where in that URL is the affiliate info? That URL only contains the website name, product name and product number.

I went to the Crucial UK site, searched for the OP's motherboard, found a 32GB module, clicked the "Where to buy link", then chose "Ebuyer" from the list. The generated link was very long, so before posting , I shortened it to point to the product and nothing more.

Please remove those unwarranted down-votes Tommy & Bignasty.
The downvote was for recommending a single slow 32Gb stick of ram when the op wants 128Gb gb(should be bought in a kit not individually) and has a Ryzen cpu.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply and comments but I've always assumed that four identical 32GB modules bought at the same time from the same place was the same as a "kit".
The key difference as @bignastyid says is that a kit has been TESTED to work together. Without that testing, you have no guarantee of compatibility between the parts. A kit gives you the manufacturer's guarantee that all the parts are supposed to work as a set.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Without that testing, you have no guarantee of compatibility between the parts. A kit gives you the manufacturer's guarantee that all the parts are supposed to work as a set.
Adding a little extra detail here.

Some manufacturers sell part number xxx but change the actual chips and thus the subtiming between "versions" of xxx product.

This means that you can unwittingly buy xxx v3.2 and xxx v4.1 One DIMM is using Samsung memory chips and the other is using Hynix memory chips.

Not all brands of memory do this, but some do, Corsair DOES do this.!

PS: Corsair makes some great RAM with great warranties, I am not attacking Corsair, just using them as an example, in the case of this thread, a pertinent and accurate example.

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
Hi everyone

I just realised after posting the 'solved' I didn't follow up and there has been more activity in the thread.

Thanks for the suggestion Secret-Squirrel, as others have mentioned, I was looking for something that was matched which is why I went for the RGB setup, not for the lighting, but because it was the cheaper of only two sets of matched 4's 32GB sticks I could find...guess there isn't much demand. I do appreciate the time you put into looking! :)

In the end I went with two Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit. I've used that type memory before in multiple builds and it's always been great. Though it wasn't on the -definitely- supported list, I read of some builds where people had used it with that board without issue, the part picker sites weren't showing any incompatibility either, so I took a punt. The bank holiday weekend was coming up and I really wanted to get things built while I had a bit more time.

I'm pleased to say it's all working! It's running at 2133MHz (can't remember offhand if that's the max for 128GB or if its running a bit slow), but it does the RAM count correctly every time. I've tried testing the machine in a variety of ways and....wow...it's an absolute monster of a build.

So, hopefully it'll give me many years of happy running! Speaking of running, the dodgy RAM is currently with the courier on the way back to Amazon. I've been told I'll get a refund a few days after they receive it, so looking forward to that.

And yeah, someone has done a swap out somewhere along the line. I doubt it was an Amazon warehouse worker, they are monitored constantly and run off their feet. I imagine it was a RMA scam. The swines.

Thanks again everyone for your support, it was absolutely invaluable!

Reactions: Secret-Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.