[SOLVED] [Solved] - Need help with Open Media Vault and Login Loop with Admin Account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidCesium

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
[strike]Hey all!

So I'm posting here because the OMV forums are 100% useless and wont let me post a new thread what so ever and there seems to be no clear guide to fixing this issue online and I'm 2 steps short of breaking this keyboard I'm using over my knee out of frustration right about now (seriously: Nothing ever works the first, second, or 483th time with my projects).

That said here's my issue:

I put the OMV for my Rasberry Pi 3 Model B on the SD and boot it up. We get to the terminal for OMV.

Then I login:

Login: admin
Password: openmediavault

These are the defaults

After that something flashes on the screen then it immediately goes back to login after clearing everything.

I have tried two recent builds of OMV with no avail. This comes after a failed attempt to use NFS (which no guide seemed to help with or used past versions that were no longer useful)

I haven't found anything what so ever on this issue. Whatever threads I do find do not have a solution and just suddenly end with "I fixed it! thanks for the answers guys!" with no solution on how they did so what so ever and none of the other suggested solutions mentioned to be the fix.

As you can imagine. This is quite frustrating. I'm using a 16GB SD card, so there should be plenty of space.

I legit have NO idea whats wrong and as you can imagine, after two days of nonstop inability to get this stupid thing up and running (seriously: I've done significantly more complex things. How can a simple RPi NAS be this complicated!?!?!?!?).

So if anyone can help me. Please do as soon as possible. This innocent keyboard's life depends upon it.
[/strike]

Issue somehow resolved itself somehow. Since I didnt do things one at a time and was just the result of me moving my RPi from my work bench to its future resting place now that my workspace has gotten cleaned up and I rehooked everything up with different cables, reset up the router, and reconnected everything and reseated the SD I've become unsure what exactly fixed my issue. However, Now I can use the web client and everything is working like it should

DId you ever get NFS working, you simply have to wget a couple packages and should be able to mount NTFS drives just fine. I have setup several Pis for this.

Now with that said Pi as a NAS is a very poor idea due to the limited shared bus between the usb ports and the ethernet port. Hope you dont plan on accessing anything faster then 10MBps.

https://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/omv-giving-you-a-blank-screen-here-is-the-fix/

Have you verified that you have ample free space on the SSD?
Can you access OMV webgui?
Can you access pi via SSH?
Also just to know, what Pi distro you using?

LiquidCesium

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I did not manage to get NFS working, not particularly sure why. I also am using EXT4 drives since its a linux based system I formatted them in the Linux default style.

and no, im not planning on it. Just a small experiment I'm preforming so I can place documents and spreadsheets in a local drive that can be accessed from all computers (given these are less than a MB in size most of the time, its not exactly a concern). I know well enough that if I wanted to do some kinda mass media editing that I would need a more bulky solution. However, setting up a several hundred dollar NAS is overkill for document stashing when I can take a spare hard drive, MircroSD and grab a RPi 3B and just set up a small document host.

I have managed to access the OMV WebGui now, and logged into it. However: I dont seem to be able to do anything. No matter what I click on it just stays blank in the main portion of the screen.

I cannot access it by SSH, havent been able to try. Last I saw SSH was disabled.

Im using the RPi 3B with the OMV 3.0.59 distro (ive attempted the .63 version first and didnt get very far) I have it linked in with a Ethernet Cable and can access Root atm. Not much else. Since the screen clears all the output when i try to login into admin almost immediately I am unable to read what it says to fix any issues.

LiquidCesium

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Update to the situation:

I have come to a conclusion that whatever the problem is im unsure of. The problem has sort of... magically sorted itself out after a couple restarts and plugging things in again. I presume there may have just been some minor issue with the cable I was using for Ethernet (as I've used an entirely new one and now can access the server through the web client, I haven't tried SSH into the server but so far: I have full control of it through the web client so I'm fine)

Whatever caused this issue is somehow fixed and even I don't know why. I'm chalking this one up to "FM" or "Freaking Magic" solving this. Since my problem is solved I'll mark it as such. Even if the means of which is currently unknown.

If anyone is having a similar solution try the following:

Re-seating your SD.
Switching out your Ethernet cable (to a shorter one that's not a flattened variant).
Cycle the Power of the RPi to see if it needs a restart.
Reinstall the OS in case that's the issue.

I don't know if any of this fixed the issue, but hey it works now. Best of luck to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS