[SOLVED] [SOLVED] RAM size incorrect

Jul 13, 2020
This is a strange one...

I've got a PC, which has been used a the family media centre for a few years now. It isn't powerful enough to play 4K video, so I have replaced it with my PC and and am using the old media centre as my main PC.

The PC contains a Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 and the CPU is an AMD A8-7600. There are two RAM slots, both of which are populated by Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 modules.

They are clearly labelled as 8GB sticks, but both Windows and the BIOS report that they are 4GB.

I have tried swapping them, which reported 8GB and starting the PC with one stick at a time, in either socket, and it always reports 4GB with one stick.

I have reflashed the BIOS with the latest version, but that made no difference.

Any ideas as to what I could try next?

Thanks in advance.

PS. The little gremlin in my head is telling me to check that the CPU is correctly seated and that there aren't any bent pins. I'm not sure why he'd even think that. Should I listen to the gremlin and check the CPU? I'm asking here first because I would have to buy heat sink compound!

Edit to add: I am running 64 bit Windows, although that shouldn't make any difference as the incorrect size is showing up in the BIOS as well as Windows.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
@thx1138v2 It is a few years old but it is definitely running the 64 bit version of Windows.

@bignastyid For some reason I thought that meant that each stick was 8GB and... yeah, I can see how big a numpty I am! OK, I'm just going to slowly back away, tail firmly between my legs. Thanks for clearing up the confusion!