[Solved] Resolution stuck on 640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Hello,

I booted up my pc today and suddenly had some trouble. I have a HD screen with 1920x1280 resolution, but for some reason its stuck on 640x480. I've tried changing it, but its greyed out. I'm no computer wiz, so I really have no idea what to do with this problem.

I've looked on the internet and saw that several people have had the same troubles and they all had different problems: broken VGi cable, graphics card troubles, monitor, etc. Some mentioned to update the drivers, but my drivers seem to be up to date (according to windows update).

Some relevant information:
-I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX770 graphics card
-When I turn off the pc my screen says 'going to power saving mode' (like it always does). That seems to be the right resolution.
-I have windows 10.
-My father and I built this pc ourselves around 14 months ago so the parts are quite new, the same goes for the screen. I haven't had any trouble up until now.
-I don't have a second screen to see if it works fine on that.

Solved! The problem was probably the Displayport and my stupidity. I connected the cables to the wrong outlet. Instead of the GPU, they were probably connected to the mothercoard.I reconnected the cables to the GPU: The displayport did not work, but the HDMI seems to be working fine.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Uninstall and Reinstall your Nvidia drivers. Do this manually if you can. Go to the nvidia website and manually select your driver. This is most likely the problem. Also check the device manager to see if you card is enabled or has other problems.

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for the quick answer. I uninstalled the drivers and tried reinstalling the drivers from the website like you said. [strike]However, the installation doesn't work. I keep getting the message: "Nvidia-installation programme could not continue: This graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware" (it's a translation, but something along those lines).
[/strike] Update: I rebooted the pc and it was now able to update. However, it didn't help a bit :(
I also checked the device manager and it doesn't show any trouble relating to my card. It's recognized and it says it's working correctly

on the pc make sure the video cable is connected to the gpu and not the onboard video port. power the pc off and reseat the gpu it may have walked out of the video slot. when you pull the video card make sure you unlock it from the pci slot if not you rip the pci slot off the mb. if the gpu is locked in and all the power is conencted to it and it not seen by the pc. try reinstalling the intel or amd mb chipset drivers to make sure it not a missing driver. if the card is still not see ntry another gpu to rule out the gpu or power issue.

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014

I was able to disconnect the video card and reseat it. It looked fine though and reseating it sadly did not make any difference. The GPU is also correctly recognized by the pc.

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
I tried connecting the pc to my tv using a hdmi cable. It didn't work, only saw black screen. Then when I tried to reconnect to the monitor I got the same reaction. So now I can't even see anything, the screen is just black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts