**SOLVED** - VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error 116 - Please help I'm at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2673316

Hopefully this is somewhat the correct place for this but this is my first ever post on a forum so please forgive me if I have made a mistake. I'm at wits end with an issue that's been giving me grief for months now.

I have been plagued with BSOD (doesn't actually bluescreen but I can see in the dump files that there's a 116 error VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE) and display driver issues (sometimes windows is able to recover and gives a message "display drivers stopped working and has recovered").

The dump files and my system info can be downloaded here -> dump files and system info

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a way to trigger this and it makes troubleshooting very difficult. It seems to just happen at random and it doesn't matter if the computer is under load playing games or editing video etc., or if it's just sitting idle or browsing the internet. Due to it's random nature and not being able to replicate the scenario where the drivers crash or the computer blue screens, it has been dragging on for months now as I can essentially only try to modify one thing at a time and then I have to wait for the next crash/bluescreen to see if it's fixed or not. This can take over a week sometimes (normally happens at least once a day though) and obviously I haven't been successful in fixing the issue as of yet, hence this post.

Over the last few months I have done an absolute crap tonne of reading on forums and have tried everything I have read and thought of myself to fix the issue to no avail. I'm starting to think it's hardware related but the hardware I have been able to swap out and test has all been fine so I have no idea. Below is a list of things I have tried to fix the issue;

* Fresh version of windows (have tried windows 10 64bit and windows 7 64bit (current))
* Reinstalled several different driver versions (using DDU for clean install)
* Freeing up as many resources as possible by only running essential programs
* Torn down the build and cleaned dust, replaced thermal paste etc. (quick visual check on cables and components also)
* Removed extra hardware not needed to run windows
* Re-seated PCI card and tried in different slots
* Re-seated RAM modules and tried with only one DIMM installed (tried all 4 DIMMs solo)
* Swapped out the GPU with another proven GPU (got the same issue)
* Bios is already at current version but I reset all the defaults (never overclocked intentionally but did notice at some point I had inadvertantly selected "air cooling OC profile (it was a default Asus OC profile in bios I must have clicked by mistake at some point)"
* Checked out the crash dumps in Bluescreenview.exe but it's over my head (offending files/drivers are; dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys and nvlddmkm.sys across 11 dumps I still have record of) I have obviously googled with this information but haven't been able to fix with the information gathered from searching
* Ran as many diagnostics as I could think of including;
a) Checked temperature and voltage with several software's (all in normal range)
b) Furmark (ran for over an hour with no crash/overheating)
c) Memory check with windows inbuilt check and another software I can't remember (Passed with no errors)
d) Checked CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (Passed)
* Probably a bunch of other stuff that I'm not remembering off the top of my head

If anyone has taken the time to read through this I really appreciate it and I apologise that the post is so long but I wanted to give a comprehensive overview of what I have already done to save time.

Please, if anyone has any feedback, knows exactly what the issue is or could give me some more ideas to try, please let me know. I'm happy to provide any information requested as well. Thanks again for your time.

D

Deleted member 2673316

I have already swapped the GPU out with my Sons and his GPU crashed in my PC whilst mine worked fine in his. That would indicate the GPU is fine in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 2673316

Yeah, I've already done that as well. There's a full list in the OP of what I've already done just FYI. Oh and the specs are in a .png in the mediafire link. Just quickly though;
Rampage IV extreme
GTX TITAN
i7 4960X
CMD16GX3M2A1866C (32gb)
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Windows 7 64bit

D

Deleted member 2673316

That's something I haven't been able to check because I haven't got a 2nd power supply adequate enough to test with. All the voltages are fine though from what I can see. Is there any software you can test PSU's with that you know of?

D

Deleted member 2673316

OK, will try out occt
I have bluescreenview, will that show the same thing as whocrashed it? I'm not really sure how to read it though. The dumps are in a link in the OP if you could give them a look maybe?

Also;
Rampage IV extreme
GTX TITAN
i7 4960X
CMD16GX3M2A1866C (32gb)
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Windows 7 64bit

D

Deleted member 2673316

Yeah, it's a pretty old system though. Would there be newer drivers you think?

D

Deleted member 2673316

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 6.02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue (or black) screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program might help you find the root cause of the problem and a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue (or black) screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows a lot of system crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue or black screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network.

Please note that this version of WhoCrashed is not licensed for use by professional support engineers.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

Computer name: LEVEL10
Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 34294824960 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 1/12/2018 04:17:11 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5A4FB8)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801E5FB4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5A4FB8, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sun 25/11/2018 14:23:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112518-10608-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5BDC78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801E3B24E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5BDC78, 0x0, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Sun 25/11/2018 09:50:36 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112518-10561-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5D3C78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801E4283B0, 0xFFFFF8800F5D3C78, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sat 24/11/2018 07:18:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112418-12027-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F58CC78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801EE74010, 0xFFFFF8800F58CC78, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 19/11/2018 19:19:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111918-10920-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5E0C78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80222664E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5E0C78, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 18/11/2018 17:59:13 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111818-10842-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5CDC78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA802347A4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5CDC78, 0x0, 0x2)

On Tue 6/11/2018 12:52:20 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110618-11434-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5EC8DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80192DD4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5EC8DC, 0x0, 0x2)

On Tue 6/11/2018 11:50:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110618-10779-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5AD8DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801E4AC010, 0xFFFFF8800F5AD8DC, 0x0, 0x2)

On Wed 31/10/2018 14:29:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103118-10857-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F5C48DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801E2474E0, 0xFFFFF8800F5C48DC, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sat 27/10/2018 13:24:44 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102718-10686-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F3CB8DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801D77D4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F3CB8DC, 0x0, 0x2)

Conclusion

On your computer a total of 12 crash dumps have been found. Only 10 have been analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

D

Deleted member 2673316

yeah mate, Norton is on his computer as well. Also, the computer ran fine for years with Norton installed before i started having this issue. I will give it shot though at some point if nothing else works.

D

Deleted member 2673316

Ok. So this occt? that will show issues with PSU if there's any?

mgallo848

Commendable

Here's an issue I'm currently having (may or may not help you)

I have:
i7 4930k (tried stock speeds and OC'd)
ASUS Sabertooth X79 (same chipset as yours)
16gb DDR 3 2400

When I use my:

AMD R9 390x
AMD RX 580
Everything runs fins with ZERO issues in all games.

When I tried:
GTX 1080 (return for second one thinking it was bad)
2nd GTX 1080 (returned for refund)
Both of those cards crashed in every game I tried. It turned out the motherboard was somehow overclocking them too high even though I did NOT have any OC software installed

Now I own:
RTX 2080

This card is also overclocking itself (To the same EXACT hz) that it was doing to the 1080's. Thankfully it isn't much higher than the RTX speeds to beging with so it does not crash
(yes I tried reinstalling Windows and test it with nothing but drivers installed)

TLDR: double check the video card clock speeds using GPU-z and see if your cards are being OC'd.

D

Deleted member 2673316

Specs for my card are 836 MHz
GPUZ shows 837 MHz

D

Deleted member 2673316

His was a different card, GTX 720 or 770, something like that. I just used the current drivers from Nvidia.

I have rolled back the driver to several different versions and did a clean install each time using DDU. It has crashed on every one of them. Just noticed above though, in the dump text, every dump reports "NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 417.01 ". Version 417.01 on every crash even though those crashes happened with different driver versions? Does that seem right to you?

D

Deleted member 2673316

Also, I've been running occt for about half an hour now. I selected PSU and the test it bought up was like a 3d fur rendering. Nothing has crashed yet. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing with that software?

Status
Not open for further replies.