Question [SOLVED] Win 7 won't boot / Error 0xc0000428

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
After installing latest updates from Windows Update my Win7 won't boot with Error 0xc0000428. I can't access the "last working configuration" option, as pressing F8 gives me no advances boot options regarding Win7.

I have learned so far, that I can easily fix this error with bootable Win7 USB. The problem is, I have no such thing. I also can't make one, since I have no access to my Windows 7.
I can download Win7 ISO, but before I do, I'm asked to put in my Windows Product Key. Again, I can't determine it since I have no access to my bloody Windows 7.
What I have access to however is the machine itself, as it's a dual boot with Ubuntu 18.04. I also have access to Win10 on another machine.

Please, tell me what to do. I'm nuts here. Thanks.

if u get this error, u will need to use recovery tools, if you dont have any installation media (disk or USB device), and u cant donwload it from microsoft website, since u dont have retail key, then u will need to contact your OEM manufacturer (HP, Lenovo, etc u got) to get repair disk

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
if u get this error, u will need to use recovery tools, if you dont have any installation media (disk or USB device), and u cant donwload it from microsoft website, since u dont have retail key, then u will need to contact your OEM manufacturer (HP, Lenovo, etc u got) to get repair disk

Eventually I have determined my retail key from Ubuntu, but it doesn't work on the Microsoft website. Or rather:

We encountered a problem with your request. Please visit Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance. Refer to Message Code xxx and Transaction ID xxx.

microsoft website will work only with retail keys (boxed windows edition)
it looks like this
71dNVAgxwLL._SL1500_.jpg

or from authorised sellers (including microsoft)

if u got your key preinstalled, or from unathorised seller, ms support wont work

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I made it with the USB boot. None of the repair options are helping me though. I have no restore point not an image to restore from. The startup checks comes back with nothing. I’m left with the command line. Followed bunch of online helpers, tried messing with bcdedit. Nothing works. Now at the Win7 startup there’s no error, just a blank frozen screen.

Setting nointegritychecks to 1 promts:
The system cannot find the file specified
and bcdboot c:\windows /s e: prompts:
Failure when attempting to copy boot files

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I made it with the USB boot. None of the repair options are helping me though. I have no restore point not an image to restore from. The startup checks comes back with nothing. I’m left with the command line. Followed bunch of online helpers, tried messing with bcdedit. Nothing works. Now at the Win7 startup there’s no error, just a blank frozen screen.

Setting nointegritychecks to 1 promts:
The system cannot find the file specified
and bcdboot c:\windows /s e: prompts:
Failure when attempting to copy boot files

I made it. This solution worked:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rify-the/61e0a86d-b444-4d79-a027-46edb6a62aed

The command bootrec /fixMBR fixed the error, however wouldn't boot Win7 anyway, it was just the error that was gone. The command: bootrec /fixBoot repaired the boot process completely.

On the other hand, it killed the grub menu on startup and I wasn't able to boot to Ubuntu at. I used an Ubuntu USB boot to install and run Boot-Repair. It worked, I'm all set right now.

I suspect the problem was not enough room on the Win7 partition.