Solving error 8024402c

Shivam15

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hey guys am running the original windows 8.1 pro. Now whenever i try to check for updates, am getting this 8024402c error. Now can anyone supply me with a step by step guide to solve it as theres no concrete one available on the net. THANKS :D

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Did you perform option 3? from guide. try it with option 3

try this options below; it's most likely some problems with windows integrity

sfc /scannow

run cmd as adminsitrator and > type; DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Dism /Online /Clean-Image /RestoreHealth

Make sure to space properly and use Capitals just copy paste this text and put it in command prompt.

If this won't fix it I'm afraid the only real fix would be to reinstall Windows, so I would backup data just in case.

! note#

This could work >>>>>> In Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting click on text "Fix problems with Windows Update" .

Shivam15

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

This is the error message am receiving. And no, reinstalling windows is not an option. I have many softwares installed. I dont have the time to go through the installation of each one of them

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
You do not have to reinstall you will have to specify source. Is your firewall or network properly configured?

Put installation disc in Computer, command prompt

and type;

dism.exe /get-wiminfo /wimfile:d:\sources\install.wim

:d: >> specify location of your disc .

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Try the Inbuilt Troubleshooter for fixing Incoming connections. and put in C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (this is the update service)

or disable Firewall & AV, Reboot and check to see if problem is gone.

check to see if the service is even running > windows key + alt > services.msc (Windows Update) open properties of the service and see if any errors are displayed.

Shivam15

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Oh i have finally FINALLY found the link to this annoying problem and it is related to my ISP
My fix is to have the system use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This bug is on my own ISP. When I used their DNS every single machine in my house and fail with this error. As soon as I changed dns servers they all worked.

mfppub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
thank you Shivam15 - you have saved me! For 2 days I literally went through about 150 articles on this and tried every suggestion they threw out, but none of them worked. I popped in Google's DNS server in my config, and bamm, I got Windows updates. I have other Windows 7 machines in my house that use my Frontier's router DNS servers, but for some reason this new install of Windows 7 could not use those DNS servers. I hope this helps someone else out as well as I was out of ideas and the laptop is pretty old so I didn't know if I'd be able to install 8.1 on it.