Some People Are Smashing Their PS4s Right After Purchase

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
They are still idiots because they may make profit but, in total, the world's wealth has gone down, unless these videos are considered entertaining. I don't consider them entertaining unless maybe the crowd bodyslams these idiots onto the broken consoles and maybe trampolines on them a few times.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
It's the people who watch these videos who are stupid! The people who make them are very smart.
400$ for a PS4? ok, now say u get 5$ per 1000 views because of the youtube ads (usually it's more), and your video gets a few hundred thousand views... that's 500$ per 100k views. So basically... they all make a good profit while you guys watch them and moan.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I'm amazed more people don't understand why this happens, especially Tom's.

Youtube ad revenue is roughly $1500 - $2000 per million views, and anybody and there mom can get in on that. The value depends on the ad campaigns being run, but you can safely bet there are high paying ad campaigns during the holidays. Bottom line, views = money, and these guys very likely know that. It's a gamble, but if you get a viral video (which sites like this contribute to, so obviously it's working), you'll make back the $400, and a few grand more if you're lucky.

I'm shocked Tom's writers don't realize this, as the source of income is nearly identical to how all of the staff at Tom's is paid, and how websites exist as a business.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
If people are making money on the views, maybe Toms Hardware should take the article down and forget it even happened. Those people need to learn the consequences from breaking an expensive console. So forget you even saw this article. Don't talk about it, don't share it don't do anything.

InvalidError

Titan

Well, the contributor who posted the link makes money from writing an article and the website makes money from showing its own ads when people open the article either to watch the videos or post comments... so if you disapprove it, you probably shouldn't be coming back here since by doing so, you are contributing to the very thing you have issues with: generating ad views by coming back to argue.

That's how most of the web publishing business works... speak good of it, speak ill of it, that's ok because advertisers and websites still get revenue as long as you speak about it. The more arguing there is, the better since the topic will likely stay alive and generating revenue longer.

G

The same can be said for all the people in line. They bought it, they can do what they want with it. Whether they use it to play games or use it to prop up a desk, its their decision.

G

The same can be said for all the people in line. They bought it, they can do what they want with it. Whether they use it to play games or use it to prop up a desk, its their decision.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oh daaaaaaa------ i'd kill that prick ont eh bottom video ... busting your won PS4 is one thing breaking some one else's ... i'd take that bat from him and shove it where the sun don't shine. thats 400 bucks of that other guy's money.

InvalidError

Titan

That video looked like the script was rehearsed to some extent so the other guy was most likely in on it. That adds an extra drama element and likely earns them a bunch of extra ad views that they would not have gotten if they had produced an ordinary guy-smash-own-shiny-new-toy smash video.

He probably paid his friend something like an extra $20 on top of the console price for the stunt and will probably earn himself an extra $200 on Youtube.

kdryan

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
People all over the world are starving. Wars are raging out of control across the globe. 4,000 people just died in the worst typhoon in history caused by global warming, radioactive waste has been leaking unchecked from damaged reactors in Japan for over two years and the morons spend what would be a year's salary in most countries around the world just to make an idiotic Youtube video.

Yup that about covers it.

allan_hm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
They should think that is worth burning $400 to get meaningless views on YouTube...
If you watch them, you're giving what they want.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

So in theory: 10$ = 1000 v's
10$ x 10000 = 100$
10$ x 100000 v's = 1000$
10$ x 1000000 v's = 10,000$
-------
Based on the hits, and views given.

Yeah its smart idea, troll the peasents in line, mash the console, get views. its not stupid at all but i do empathize for those who cannot afford one.

It's stupid.

So how sure it's 10$, or is that a guess as 3$ sounds more realistic.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

I thought canadians were french colonists, and americans resented them for it.

Like australians are convicts and the british are pomirangs.

Come on people. How much perfectly good stuff is destroyed in TV shows and movies every week? How much perfect edible food is thrown away daily? This is just the same thing - destroying something purely for the entertainment of others (or in food's case - because you don't give a damn). You don't have to LIKE it, but try and remember that when you tune into your favourite TV show or catch a movie or throw your leftovers in the bin, and see if you apply the same standards.

Ace0751

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hey if you want to waste $400 on smashing consoles send that money here I can use it for more useful things that are valuable. There loss, complete morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.