[SOLVED] Something isn't right - Should I Upgrade?

rickijensen40

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Hi!

I have build a system which I want to run as smooth as possible, but something seems wrong. I feel like it is high end, but I get somewhat low FPS in games.
The most recent games I play is Red Dead Redemption and Borderlands 3.
I have somewhat stable FPS in borderlands 3, but does not go over 80 and do drop under 60 even out of combat
RDR2 is stable at 54 -56
(More game info is at the bottom)

I had planned to play VR again, but if my games can't even hold a stable 60 fps the experience will suck so much.

SPECS:
CPU : Intel Core i7-8700 - 3.2 GHz
RAM : HyperX Predator DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
GPU : Asus GeForce RTX 2080 ROG STRIX
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5"
SSD : 2x Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 1x Samsung EVO 970 250GB, 1x Intel SSD 180GB
PSU : Corsair RM750x (2018) - 750 Watt
MDB: Asus Prime Z390-P

I'm using a 2560x1440 (144hz) Screen, which I do know takes FPS, but my GPU should still be able to pull higher FPS.
I also have a secondary 50" TV screen 1080 resolution (used for Netflix or casual couch gaming)

SO:
Any ideas guys n' girls? Upgrade, downgrade or possible hardware problems? I do not have too much money to wiggle around with, so suggestions like a 2080ti is out of the question.

THOUGHTS AND PLANNED UPGRADES:
I bought a smaller case (meshify c) and Messed up some calculations and I have to buy new AIO and ram.
Downsizing AIO: 280mm to 240mm (I know it is not needed)
Ram "upgrade": HyperX predator 3200MHz to 3600MHz (buying new for low profile)

A BIT OF PARTS INFO:
I bought the 2080 not very long ago, but it is and older obsolete version of the 20- series.

I have for a while felt that my pc wasn't performaning completely as it should, since at the time I bought it it was the 3rd best card (the TI and Titan is Better og course)
I bought most if the parts when my pc broke and I couldn't find a specific part so bought mostly new. The rams have become is probably the oldest part over 3 years old, but that shouldn't matter.

GAMES:
I mostly play smaller games, since newer bigger releases really have begun to suck a lot these past years. However, the games I play I mostly try to play on Max setting without V-sync.
Nvidia Experience says my pc should be able to pretty much everything game on absolute max, but that is rarely the case.

FALLOUT 76: 70 - 80 FPS (High settings) The game might have some problems, since Sometimes it runs steady 80 max, something tells me temperatures really effects this game.

BORDERLANDS 3: 55 - 80 FPS. Very wonky numbers and I can't tell why. I can be in situations with a lot of enemies and loot which over 69 FPS and other times no emenies, no loot, but low FPS.

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2: always under 60, but as far as I know that is a problem with the game, since this does not change even if I lower settings.

I will test some more games tomorrow and update the list.

Solution
I'm no expert on the matter but i was doing some research when i was buying my ryzen 7 2700x, which is an 8 core 16 thread processor, i found that it would bottleneck a 2080, not the worst but it would be noticeable, with that in mind i think this might be true for you too, even though on paper the 8700k should be able to handle that card just fine as it has much higher clock speeds but some games benefit from having more cores and more threads, moving up the resolution to 1440p offloads more stress onto the gpu but you are still limited by the cpu telling it what to do

Also, if you are playing at ultra details, sometimes you are taking a usually pretty tasty performance hit for little to no tangible change in graphics quality...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I'm no expert on the matter but i was doing some research when i was buying my ryzen 7 2700x, which is an 8 core 16 thread processor, i found that it would bottleneck a 2080, not the worst but it would be noticeable, with that in mind i think this might be true for you too, even though on paper the 8700k should be able to handle that card just fine as it has much higher clock speeds but some games benefit from having more cores and more threads, moving up the resolution to 1440p offloads more stress onto the gpu but you are still limited by the cpu telling it what to do

Also, if you are playing at ultra details, sometimes you are taking a usually pretty tasty performance hit for little to no tangible change in graphics quality, ultra is for screenshots high is for playing games generally, take all those settings down a notch and see the difference

rickijensen40

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018

Also, if you are playing at ultra details, sometimes you are taking a usually pretty tasty performance hit for little to no tangible change in graphics quality, ultra is for screenshots high is for playing games generally, take all those settings down a notch and see the difference
When running "ultra" on games it is not all settings. I should have been more clear on that. Mostly textures. I often see little to no change in stuff like Shadows and stuff like that and they can bite ones FPS.
I ha e tried to find a better CPU than my i7-8700 and I thought of the i7-9700 since on paper it is about 10% better. I so thought of Ryzen, but since I have to buy a new motherboard too, it is simply not affordable for me right now.
I have also thought about going back to 1080p, but 1440p just looks so good. I don't think I can go back.

2700x vs 3700x vs 8700k with a 2080.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PcJeBhT2cI

A 2700X will not bottleneck a 2080ti. 16 threads is more than enough for games.

Solution

rickijensen40

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
2700x vs 3700x vs 8700k with a 2080.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PcJeBhT2cI

A 2700X will not bottleneck a 2080ti. 16 threads is more than enough for games.
That is actually quite interesting. Looking at just Metro Exodus frame rate I can see a big difference. The video showed FPS over 150 with the i7-8700k
My FPS wasn't nearly as high, but I do use a 1440p screen and a i7-8700 is a bit worse than a non-k I believe.
Tbh it seems like I should go back to 1080p for Long term use of the same setup.
When it comes to Hitman 2 I have to change resolution to 1080p otherwise I only get around 40 fps

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
When running "ultra" on games it is not all settings. I should have been more clear on that. Mostly textures. I often see little to no change in stuff like Shadows and stuff like that and they can bite ones FPS.
I ha e tried to find a better CPU than my i7-8700 and I thought of the i7-9700 since on paper it is about 10% better. I so thought of Ryzen, but since I have to buy a new motherboard too, it is simply not affordable for me right now.
I have also thought about going back to 1080p, but 1440p just looks so good. I don't think I can go back.

Could not recommend that 9700 right now, as there are new cpu's going to be launched from intel soon, i'd recommend seeing if your motherboard will support one of those and skip the 9000 series, if you can or wait for the prices to drop, which they should do pretty soon anyway, ryzen is real nice and all but if you have already invested in intel at this point, either Am5 for a whole new platform or a straight intel upgrade

No motherboard from intel will support the new CPU's. A motherboard change will be required. It's a new socket.

This is why a Ryzen with a X570 board is the better option because you will be able to upgrade to a 4000 ryzen when they come out with that board and just a BIOS update.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
is there any chance of thermal throttling? What are the temperatures like inside the case? and ambient too
You can use Speedfan, msi afterburner, and a few other programs to monitor temperatures

Also did you build this pc recently? you may need to go into the BIOS and set the XMP profiles for the RAM