Question Sometimes SSD M2 stops being recognized

CaptAlvez

Commendable
Oct 9, 2020
Hi everyone!
Recently I have been having a weird one.

Sometimes my SSD M2 stops being recognized. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes is when I'm doing my everyday stuff and my PC crashes with a BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and goes to BIOS and there I can see that my SSD M2 (windows drive) is missing. And it doesn't matter how many times I restart my PC the SSD will not show up, but if I do a manual power off and power up the SSD is back in there and boots windows normally. 🤷‍♂️
Also it already happened just after I power up my pc and the SSD is missing and if I manual power off and power on the ssd is recognized again. (I think that this only happened once)

What I have already done:
  • Checked the SSD health status using CrystalDiskInfo and with Kinsgton SSD Manager, and in both programs it shows 100% health:
  • Disabled fast boot (still happens randomly)
  • Updated BIOS drivers

PC Specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 - Plus WIFI
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
  • GPU: Gigabyte gforce RTX 2070 Super
  • Drives:
    • SSD Kingston KC2000 M2 2280 500GB (Windows drive)
    • SSD Kingston SA2000 1TB (Games and media)
  • Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB - 3200 MHZ)
Any clue of what might be causing this issue? 😕
Thank you!

CaptAlvez

Commendable
Oct 9, 2020
Any sort of an overclock on your system, besides PBO, etc? Have you tried Memtest86 in a bootable USB format? A flaky system can cause hardware dropouts, and other odd behavior. Good PSU?

I don't have any sort of overclock on my system.
I will try the Memtest86, thank you for the suggestion!
My PSU is a RM750W 80+ Gold Corsair

Hi everyone!

Sometimes my SSD M2 stops being recognized. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes is when I'm doing my everyday stuff and my PC crashes with a BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and goes to BIOS and there I can see that my SSD M2 (windows drive) is missing. And it doesn't matter how many times I restart my PC the SSD will not show up, but if I do a manual power off and power up the SSD is back in there and boots windows normally. 🤷‍♂️
Also it already happened just after I power up my pc and the SSD is missing and if I manual power off and power on the ssd is recognized again. (I think that this only happened once)

• Checked the SSD health status using CrystalDiskInfo and with Kinsgton SSD Manager, and in both programs it shows 100% health:
  • Updated BIOS drivers
PC Specs:
  • Drives:
Thank you!
Reseat the m.2 in the slot.
Any diff?

Swap m.2 slots.
Any diff?

Jun 24, 2022
Hi everyone!

• Updated BIOS drivers
PC Specs:
  • Drives:
Thank you!
Hello for everyone with the same problem. My laptop was randomly giving a BSOD Whea uncorrectable error AND after that my M.2 SSD began to disappear from BIOS. I have try ANYTHING. Finally I bought a SATA SSD and then it works fine!