Sony Hints at PS4 Announcement Before E3 in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This will be good to see. This generation of consoles is obviously getting pretty dated with the 7 or 8 years wait depending on which one.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]I thought Sony said their PS3 are going to last minimum 10 years...[/citation]

they also said my delux ps3 could run linux and functioned to play ps2 games... that didn't last long either as they took away the ability with non optional fireware updates (well optional to a point but suddenly my solution was buy a new ps3 and dont' update the old one to use any otehr function on the ps3 and use the ps online community), i am done with sony, the ps3 was my last sony purchase ever

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Avus.... it will. Geez, SONY was selling the PS2 until 1-2 years ago for $100. So yeah, the PS3 will be on the shelves for another 2-3 years after the PS4 is released.

There is too much of a library and developers support for the PS3 to simply kill it off. They will easily surpass 100m units before the console is retired.

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]I thought Sony said their PS3 are going to last minimum 10 years...[/citation] Eh, here's the thing. PS3 came out in 2006. I doubt PS4 will be out this year, making it come out in 2014. That will make it 8 years old. PS3 games will probably still come out for another 2 years, thus making it last 10 years. They only just stopped making PS2s about a week ago.

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Avus.... it will. Geez, SONY was selling the PS2 until 1-2 years ago for $100. So yeah, the PS3 will be on the shelves for another 2-3 years after the PS4 is released.There is too much of a library and developers support for the PS3 to simply kill it off. They will easily surpass 100m units before the console is retired.[/citation]
crazily enough they only stopped PS2 production a week ago.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If PS4 will be unable to play the content that I've purchased on PSN, then Sony is out of my gaming life!
Also I hope it's going to be very quiet during blu-ray playback. My PS3 slim is noisier than the older model.

[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]I thought Sony said their PS3 are going to last minimum 10 years...[/citation]
It will. The ps2 just got discontinued. Just because a ps4 comes out doesn't mean they will stop making and selling the ps3.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
the PS2 was sold and supported from 2000 to 2012 (a 12 year span), it did not just disappear when the PS3 arrived in 2006. and the same will go for the PS3 - it'll be around and sold and supported until at least 2016, it won't get discontinued the moment the PS4 arrives (that's an xbox move).

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]they also said my delux ps3 could run linux and functioned to play ps2 games... that didn't last long either as they took away the ability with non optional fireware updates (well optional to a point but suddenly my solution was buy a new ps3 and dont' update the old one to use any otehr function on the ps3 and use the ps online community), i am done with sony, the ps3 was my last sony purchase ever[/citation]

Mine still plays PS2 games but you have to have one of the original consoles with hardware ability instead of software. Got mine about a week after release cause I was on a reserve list (didn't have to wait in line or pay a million dollars on eBay). It's a 60GB premium console and yes I paid the $600 kings randsom. But my PS2 was broken and I didn't want to buy a PS2 when the PS3 was being released. If you were a person that got a console that had PS2 support that was software emulated then no, you can't play PS2 games anymore... but I can.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]If PS4 will be unable to play the content that I've purchased on PSN, then Sony is out of my gaming life!Also I hope it's going to be very quiet during blu-ray playback. My PS3 slim is noisier than the older model.[/citation]

Why? Will your PS3 instantly explode if you buy a PS4?

joscasle

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Hope the price will be less than $500. The $600 price was becaeuse the blu-ray player was so expensive at the time of the release

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Man, the PS2 was the height of my console gaming, and IMO, the height of Sony's Console success from a standpoint of quality games. I still have a few games I intend to beat and check off my list (spreadsheet, actually) and I hope they can bring back the magic with the PS4. I'd like to have an excuse to buy another console for myself. Although I love my PC first and foremost, it would be nice to play a few of the console exclusives. The PS3 was such a huge let down and a fraud to me, b/c of all the hype about 1080p and HD gaming, and most of the games barely do 720p and even fewer are native HD. Stay true to your word this time, Sony.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I look forward to see what significant changes Sony can make to the next console. What media will we get? CD, DVD, Blu Ray what next?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

um... the ps2 lasted 10 years, at least.
just because it has a 10 year lifespan, doesn't mean its the only hardware for those 10 years.

[citation][nom]joscasle[/nom]Hope the price will be less than $500. The $600 price was becaeuse the blu-ray player was so expensive at the time of the release[/citation]

it was also partially because of the 1 billion they sunk into the cell.

but they put a 900-1000+ hardware into a 600$ package... not bad...

im hopeing they do it again, but at a 500$ max price range.

that allows them a decent cpu for 100$
a mid range to high end gpu for 3-400$
ram motherboard drices ect for another 100$
and 120-250gb of ssd space for 100-200$

and before you think they wouldnt.
think of load times.
they would mop the floor with the 360
so much so that it could be a massive selling point.

they could also just go a ram drive, where games load onto ram instead of going ssd.

the game loads what you are most likely to start with first, while the game is at the opening scene, and after that, till you shut the system off, no load times what so ever.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Lots of poor people want a PS3, they'll keep buying it after the PS4 is out.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tului[/nom]Lots of poor people want a PS3, they'll keep buying it after the PS4 is out.[/citation]

not even really poor.
how big of a back catalogue does the ps3 have
not only that, what exclusices?
also, if you want a blu ray player so you have physical media and can take advantage of used sales, cop about 100$ off the price of the ps3 as a normal bluray player costs that much.
the most bare bones ps3 you can get now is 300$, 150 used, and probably cheaper ebay.
hell i would buy a ps2 again if the thing had an hdmi out and didnt use memory cards for saves.

graphics, to me, are good enough this generation.
sure get me a higher resolution, and better animations, but bare bones graphics, i dont care if they get better or not. it wont stop me from enjoying great games.

so again, its not just poor people who would get a ps3 once the ps4 comes out.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]not even really poor.how big of a back catalogue does the ps3 havenot only that, what exclusices?also, if you want a blu ray player so you have physical media and can take advantage of used sales, cop about 100$ off the price of the ps3 as a normal bluray player costs that much. the most bare bones ps3 you can get now is 300$, 150 used, and probably cheaper ebay.hell i would buy a ps2 again if the thing had an hdmi out and didnt use memory cards for saves. graphics, to me, are good enough this generation. sure get me a higher resolution, and better animations, but bare bones graphics, i dont care if they get better or not. it wont stop me from enjoying great games. so again, its not just poor people who would get a ps3 once the ps4 comes out.[/citation]

correction, most bare bones is 40$ used.

G

steam has gone linux. nice boxes will pop for 300-400 usd. console gaming as we know will be dead in less than 5 years. ms and sony will be out of the hw market.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]danielfassa@gmailcom[/nom]steam has gone linux. nice boxes will pop for 300-400 usd. console gaming as we know will be dead in less than 5 years. ms and sony will be out of the hw market.[/citation]

how many linux games are there...
they have an up road fight to get devs away from direct x and back to opengl.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... the ps2 lasted 10 years, at least. just because it has a 10 year lifespan, doesn't mean its the only hardware for those 10 years. it was also partially because of the 1 billion they sunk into the cell. but they put a 900-1000+ hardware into a 600$ package... not bad...im hopeing they do it again, but at a 500$ max price range. that allows them a decent cpu for 100$a mid range to high end gpu for 3-400$ram motherboard drices ect for another 100$ and 120-250gb of ssd space for 100-200$and before you think they wouldnt. think of load times. they would mop the floor with the 360so much so that it could be a massive selling point. they could also just go a ram drive, where games load onto ram instead of going ssd. the game loads what you are most likely to start with first, while the game is at the opening scene, and after that, till you shut the system off, no load times what so ever.[/citation]

you are dreaming ... for such ram disk you would need like 8G of Free Ram at least plus about 4G for use , I doubt we will see any console using much Ram...

however if they put 2 SSD in Raid 0 , they can reach 1G/s read , and thats around 1/2 the dual channel ram speed...

if you ask me I wish for somthing like ...

1. 4 core cpu at 100$
2. high end GPU at 300$ with dedicated 1G ddr5
3. mother board and memory at 100$ (good for about 8 G of ram + mobo)
4. controllers for 50$
5. 2 SSD in raid 0 at 100$ (2x 64G)
around 650$ machine

but I doubt they would do that ... maybe the Xbox 720

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]you are dreaming ... for such ram disk you would need like 8G of Free Ram at least plus about 4G for use , I doubt we will see any console using much Ram...however if they put 2 SSD in Raid 0 , they can reach 1G/s read , and thats around 1/2 the dual channel ram speed...if you ask me I wish for somthing like ...1. 4 core cpu at 100$2. high end GPU at 300$ with dedicated 1G ddr53. mother board and memory at 100$ (good for about 8 G of ram + mobo)4. controllers for 50$5. 2 SSD in raid 0 at 100$ (2x 64G)around 650$ machinebut I doubt they would do that ... maybe the Xbox 720[/citation]

you are not taking into account they they were willing to lose 400-500$ a system on the ps3 when it came out, and if things didn't go the way of people being ok with digital download movies, it would have payed off for sony FAR bigger than it did.

a ram disc for the ps3 with 0 load time would take 24gb, sure there are some titles like metal gear solid 4 that use a whole 50gb disc without movies takeing it up, but all that could easily be loaded in and out of the disc.

24gb of ram right now costs about 130$

your 2 64gb drive in raid may work... but i dont think they would do that over 1 drive, less fail points.

either way both options could happen.
i like the 256gb ssd though, get all the game stuff installed on it from disc, and the only reason the disc is even in the drive anymore is for sound, video, and drm.

i mean i play grand turismo and forza 4, and if those were the only 2 games i play, i would totally be willing to shell out for an ssd for those games alone... good god every 5 minutes right now its another load time... granted forza 4s load time isnt bad, but GT... jesus, 30+ seconds for some of them, even when i have the game installed.

also with the ssd. how much do you think they are over priced? i cant find any data on the chips themselves, so i cant come up with numbers, but unless they are selling them to us at cost, those 2 64gb ssds may cost ALLOT less than you are thinking. that 100$ you ahve set aside, could put a 3rd or a 4th depending on how much they raise the price... because sony wont sell the system for a profit, they will do it at cost, or below cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.