Review Sony Inzone U27M90 27-Inch 4K Monitor Review: Optimized For PS5 And PC Gaming

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Here's another one that is fairly unimpressive with HDR nits performance. My 4k Phillips provides ~700 nits SDR--certified 1000 nits HDR--actually supports three separate HDR modes. My last BenQ, 4k provided ~300 nits SDR and about 320 nits HDR (was not certified like this Sony is not certified) and the difference is night and day. Amazing when I consider I paid less for the Phillips than this Sony is retailing for, and the Phillips is a much bigger monitor...!

I also had several Sony CRTs...great monitors--remember my last--a 20" "flat-screened" Trinitron that supported my Voodoo3's 1600x1200 res ROOB....;) As an aside, the ATi fury I bought at the time to test--(the original ATi Fury, not AMD's) would not do 1600x1200 stock! I had call ATi and ask them about it and one of the driver programmers I spoke with (in those days you could dial up practically anyone and actually talk to them!) asked me why I wanted to run at 1600x1200...;) I had to actually add the simple instructions into their driver structure at the time to enable 1600x1200--'cause my Trinitron supported it and I wanted to use it!...;)

Sony made great monitors in those days--they were good enough for me and x86 in those years. The Trinitron brand is well known even today, as you mentioned. Originally, it was the Trinitron TV brand. I'm sure this monitor is a good one, I'm just not enamored of the specs. Those high nits make all the difference, in the display, imo.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Do people fine 27 inch and 4k usable I tried it and found 32 inch to be much better.

It really is personal preference. I've been using a Samsung U24E590D 23.6" 4K display for a few years now.
Personally I wanted maximum pixel density, good power usage, not too bulky.
Now I think my eyes aren't as good as they once were, I might get a 27" 4K in the future, maybe something like the one reviewed.
27" could be the "sweet spot" for 4K. And greater than 60HZ refresh is a plus.
Also your distance from the screen and usage style play a big role in the decision.
I lean forward and have my face 1' from the screen to read things for example.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
In the 1990s, Sony marketed a line of Trinitron CRT screens. Their main draw was that they only curved on the vertical axis, which meant they were the closest thing to a flat-screen you could buy at the time.
The main draw of Trinitron tubes was their fine phosphor pitch, aligned phosphor grid (matters more for bitmapped graphics and characters than for TV where it produced crisper horizontal and vertical lines) , and lack of shadow masks producing an overall brighter image. Trinitron tubes were available as the normal 'bi curved' surface and as completely flat glass front tubes - as were shadow-mask tubes - so tube curvature was not a deciding factor in their preference.

4k at 27inches is legit pointless.

waste of energy to power(which costs more in pwoer bill), generates more heat (not what msot ppl want outside of the winter), and lowers frame rate for a near non discernible image quality.

1440p @ 240+ refresh rate would of been a MUCH more interesting product.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
LOL $1000 27" monitor for "PC" gaming, Sony won't even bother supporting adaptive sync for its TV until this year.
That was my thought, also. This is a pretty tough sell at it's price point. It should be $200-300 cheaper, realistically. Otherwise, there are significantly better monitors for the price. Hell, you can get a 48" LG C1 right now for less than this thing, and it's 4k, has amazing HDR, and 120hz.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Aside from the resolution to size ratio, they made a huge mistake with the stand. The way the front center leg extends in front of the screen is going to cause some problems and is just an awful design decision. The stand should be functional and out of the way, not sticking out in your face as if to say, "Look at me! I kinda look like a PS5 but I'm just the leg of your stand! Sorry if I'm in the way! Buy a PS5!". Also, apparently computer stands don't know how to judiciously use exclamation marks.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Why isn't Sony using they're OLED tech for gaming monitors? Is it difficult to make OLEDs smaller than 55 inches?
One word AW3423DW, I just bought this monitor from Alienware, granted it's a couple hundred dollars more than 1,000 but the QD-OLED panel gives it the brightness and performance a regular OLED panel can't compete with or any kind of array backlit could ever match because each pixel can turn off or on.

jtcmedia

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Do people fine 27 inch and 4k usable I tried it and found 32 inch to be much better.
I was on the fence whether to get a 27 inch or 32 inch 4k Monitor and decided on the 27 inch. From the research I did, it sounded like you had to do a lot of head movement with 32 inch, esp. with gaming. I have no complaints when it comes to gaming, but some productivity apps don't play well with high resolution and windows scaling.

Reactions: Makaveli

Shinchan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For gaming it's fine. Productivity not so much.
[/QUOTE
I recently upgrade to 27GP950 4K. I do some gaming.. and a lot of photo and productivity. For those who says its not good for productivity. Obvious you have not tried one out in 4K 27". The text clarity is better than my 27GP850 side by side. The scalling is bad??? I am using 150% and same windows link side by side. Its so much clear on 4K.