Sony Says Make Restore Discs Yourself

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironballz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
This is how it has been for some time I'm afraid, and I think it should stop. No recovery disks and sometimes no manual, only a manual that you can get online. For those with no internet connection wanting help getting online, you're stuffed. You gotta get online first, if only you knew how to.

G

Actually I think all manufacturers are follwing this trend now. In 2007 my girlfriend and I bought our Toshiba laptops which came with vista discs. Last year my uncle and cousin got TOshiba and Sony laptops and they didn't have any discs what-so-ever. I think whats happening is that most if not all authorized retailers these days make the discs for you for free/charge or as part of a package with the purchase of a new laptop. Manufacturers no longer see the need for creating these discs as most customers don't think about having a factory recovery disc already included so they essentially get suckered into paying to have these discs made.

G

I have'got Sony as well and have to tell you it is not about Recovery Discs Cost but the recovery disc which you create after the first use it will not work later on.
I have been chasing recovery discs for long time 'cause my system has gone after I tried to set my laptop back to factory settings. No laptop for a week now. I called Sony in UK but it is completely worthless, so I started calling shops. In the 3rd shop they told me that it costs £60 from Belgium (rubbish) and it will work! Quite frankly the NEW windows 7 OEM could cost £70 on ebuyer, so what is the point to buy only a recovery discs even if it were Windows Vista Home Premium OEM.
So that is the Business for Sony! It is not the cost of the discs but for them selling their sh...
Fed up with that kind of business...

Status
Not open for further replies.