Sony TCM-5000EV as good as TC-D5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there,

I'm looking for a solid recorder to use for radio projects. I've heard
everyone talk about the Sony TC-D5 (Ira Glass from This American Life
recomends it), but they are very expensive on ebay. I see TCM-5000EV's
for very reasonable prices. Are they similar in quality? I can't
really afford a TC-D5 right now, but I think I could swing a
TCM-5000EV.

Thanks
Paul

paulmcevoy75 wrote ...
> I'm looking for a solid recorder to use for radio projects.

OTOH, if you were looking for a *solid-state* recorder,
the Marantz PMD-660 appears to be popular. I almost
bought one except for the reported problems with noisy
mic preamps.

In article <d8ku9u$kvh$1@news01.intel.com> richard.n.crowley@intel.com writes:

> OTOH, if you were looking for a *solid-state* recorder,
> the Marantz PMD-660 appears to be popular. I almost
> bought one except for the reported problems with noisy
> mic preamps.

The report is that this problem has been found and fixed. Old stock
units are being modified if you have one and send it in, and new
production units doesn't have the problem.

How do you know if the one you buy today is a new or old one? The
usual - you try it, and if it has the problem and you're not astute
enough to figure it out, then it doesn't have the problem.

> I'm looking for a solid recorder to use for radio projects.
> I've heard everyone talk about the Sony TC-D5 (Ira Glass from
> This American Life recomends it), but they are very expensive
> on ebay.

Unfortunately they're quite expensive in general, but they sound
better than the lower-cost WM-D3C and WM-D6C "Professional Walkman"
recorders or the Superscope/Marantz portable cassette decks.

> I see TCM-5000EV's for very reasonable prices. Are they similar
> in quality?

?? Isn't the TCM-5000 a mono, non-Dolby recorder? I'm fairly sure
that it is. It might well be useful as a news-event and press
conference recorder for AM radio-quality sound. But it wouldn't
have the signal-to-noise ratio or the stereo capability that you
would surely want for any serious FM radio production.

You might conceivably want to look into the MiniDisc format. For
any given budget a MiniDisc recorder (correctly used) will give
you better sound than a cassette recorder, and there are no sonic
problems due to errors in bias, equalization or Dolby settings.

--best regards

In article <1118696812.939978.63620@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking for a solid recorder to use for radio projects. I've heard
> everyone talk about the Sony TC-D5 (Ira Glass from This American Life
> recomends it), but they are very expensive on ebay. I see TCM-5000EV's
> for very reasonable prices. Are they similar in quality? I can't
> really afford a TC-D5 right now, but I think I could swing a
> TCM-5000EV.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Just curious. Are we talking about the Sony TC-D5 portable cassette
recorder? I've had a perfect example for years, but I never imagined
this was still a viable machine given today's technology. Of is there
another Sony D5 recorder out there?

Gecko

(replies to the group please)

In article <geck-AD9F4C.20060126062005@newssvr30-ext.news.prodigy.com> geck@nomac.com writes:

> Just curious. Are we talking about the Sony TC-D5 portable cassette
> recorder? I've had a perfect example for years, but I never imagined
> this was still a viable machine given today's technology.

The TC-D5 is an excellent cassette recorder. If you need a cassette,
it's still a good one. If you're not hung up on digital recording, it
still does a good job, and you can't beat removable media for less
than two dollars an hour.