Sony's PS4 Will Have Very Large Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
1TB is certainly possible since 5400RPM and 7200RPM (Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000) mobile drives are out, but more likely it'll be 500GB or 750GB so cost isn't too high

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]It's going to need to be large (by console standards anyway) if they plan to include downloaded games as a large part of their business.[/citation]

Depends on whether or not both Sony and Microsoft will start to take full advantage of Bluray capacity and Full 1080p gaming. Textures will be drastically larger in comparisons to what both consoles are capable of now.

G

I just bought a 4TB hard drive to make a total of 8 TB on my PC. Anything smaller than a 1TB drive is tiny to me. But then again its a console so who cares other than the 12-25 yr old crowd.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
"As for the PlayStation Eye camera, two are mounted inside the console," Call me paranoid but these will be covered with electrical tape at my house.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]"As for the PlayStation Eye camera, two are mounted inside the console," Call me paranoid but these will be covered with electrical tape at my house.[/citation]

Don't worry. Microsoft has a patent that covers the concept of a console shutting off if "too many" people are watching a movie that has a set limit on how many people can watch it. The console will give a brief warning period before it stops the movie until the extra people leave.

I'm fairly sure if that's ever implemented, MS would also ensure that should the camera get blocked, the console won't work.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I replaced my PS3 HDD, but the 60GB would have been fine. The options for anything stored on it are so limited that there's no reason to keep anything on it except games. It had the potential to be a good media server, but it never fulfilled that. I expect the PS4 to do the same, Sony never seems to adapt to it's market, it expects the market to adapt to it's dictates.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]jintianyuren[/nom]Crazy Discount! Original XiaoMi M2 Smart Phone 3G Android 4.1 Jelly Bean MIUI OS Quad Core 1.5GHz 4.3 Inch Capacitive Touchscreen 2GB 32GB Version! This Promotion is designed for all our old customers and news customers, thank you very much, so we hold this extremelylow price promotion that never happen in the future. Do not miss it! http://ss.st/bDUj[/citation]

That's not what your mother said last night.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Each core will use a 32 KiB L1 I-cache and D-cache, and each four-core group will share 2 MiB of L2 Cache. The APU will be able to handle atomics, threads, fibers, and ULTs, with out-of-order execution and advanced ISA.
According to Ars Technica, the development environment coders will use is based on Windows 7 and is fully integrated with Visual Studio 2010 and 2012, allowing developers to debug PS4 just like they do with PC code. Tools will include C and C++ front ends that are "largely compatible with most standard compilers, and various binary utilities, including CPU and GPU analyzers that can run in real time alongside games".

So basically this is an overpriced Windows 7 PC with substandard parts?

Sounds to me like a more powerful version of a iSheep device.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
My guess is they'll have two SKU's with a 500 GB and 1 TB drive. I'd say 500 GB is the minimum with the increased focus on downloadable games. And if this rumor about the 720 requiring games to be installed on the hard drive is true, they'd better put a 1TB in the base model.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
as the prices of hard drives are high now Hard drive should be replaceable so that we can replace it with larger drive after 2-3 years

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
"very large" is such a horribly ambiguous term to use (I'm sure it was intentional).

Large compared to previous generations? that could be anywhere from 500gb+

Large compared to current computer technology? 1tb, 1.5tb?

Considering the focus is on installing every game I'm hoping for 750gb/1tb range. AFAIK 500gb is too small if I have to dump the entire game contents on my HDD before playing (considering the average game is 16-20gb now and isn't going to get smaller) 500gb just wouldn't cut it anymore.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
consoles spying on you with cams, not surprising from a company that had root kits on cd's,and systems that phone home without the customers approval. just support ntfs and people can use their own storage easily....oh that would be too convenient for the customer oops.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Verry large by PC or console standards? Because if its PC then it will have to be over 1TB if console then over 500 GB. I hope Sony sticks with being able to use any old sata drive making upgrading easy.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]just support ntfs and people can use their own storage easily....oh that would be too convenient for the customer oops.[/citation]

Thats what they did with the ps3. you can use any 2.5" hard drive or even solid states. Do some research before spewing nonsense. and the sony of the past is not the sony of today. Its been many years since anything like that happened

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Don't worry. Microsoft has a patent that covers the concept of a console shutting off if "too many" people are watching a movie that has a set limit on how many people can watch it. The console will give a brief warning period before it stops the movie until the extra people leave.I'm fairly sure if that's ever implemented, MS would also ensure that should the camera get blocked, the console won't work.[/citation]

i don't think that's a problem.

console spying on you with cams is a problem.

Thomas Hock

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
The whole PS4 hype shit is getting old really. We know it'll be optimized but my GTX680s in SLI will still look and run better. The PS4 will just have less to deal with and do damn well doing it.

Better? no.

Impressive? yes

any hoot, good for Sony and AMD, they both need this. AMD more than anyone really. AMD hasn't had a top end CPU in years and this might bring them money they've been needing. Go AMD on this front. And Intel don't screw us on the 4770k using crappy thermal paste in the CPU die like you did with the 3770k. because of that im still using my 2600k @ 5.1Ghz "water" and i'm not replacing for a downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.