Soon At Tom's Hardware: Full-Scale Power Supply Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I second what gamer-girl said, and although this is exciting I'm still awaiting the Graphics Comparison Charts! I realize this is more of an IT website, but these days everyone's a gamer of some type! Long live PC gaming!

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Wow, great idea and article! This will be a huge help and I'm glad u guys took the time and effort to put this together! Long live TH!

G

This is great news. On a related note do you guys not do LCD monitor testing anymore?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Bravo, good choice for a new section as more consumers and buyers should be aware of the power supplies and the quality/preformance that they offer us. I myself am about to change my older PSU and will be waiting to read the first comparisons. The problem is, which ones will you choose and every month will you have a power category? For example all the 500-600watts, then following the 700-800, 1000w onwards, ect.

You might even succeed in killing off generic psu's or at least make more ppl buy 80 plus or 80plus bronze psu's....

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]500W: Gaming PC with a high-end CPU and multiple graphics cards[/citation]
I've measured my system using 750W, and that's definetly more than 500W draw on the inside. And considering my system's only got two harddrives and air cooling, I'd say 500W doesn't qualify as high end cpu with multiple graphics! 600W at least!

Great news.

We should of course give the reviewer the nickname "Scotty" ... surely?

The PSU is technically "engineering" and ratings should include references to "warp factor" and dilithium crystals" ...lol.

Nice test gear there ... good looming job too.

Looking forward to some definitive reviews now you have the gear.

I am wondering how some of the vanilla PSU's will go against the more expensive units?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Bit-tech/CPC already do something like this. Its by far the best way to test PSU's and its fantastic that Tom's is doing something similar. Can I suggest a comment on fan noise as well. bit-tech comment on the loudness of the fan at full load but don't actually do any sound measurments due to background noise in the offices. Better than nothing tho. Also is there anyway to "endurance test" a PSU. A few PSU's end up in secondary PC's, it would be nice if there was someway of testing long term strain on PSU's too.

allantang

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I wish there were more info on this stuff, so this would be great!

I think room temp should also be taken into account. It will make a huge difference if the room is 15C or 25C.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Good job. Another thing that I think would be VERY useful would be to test the current drawn from each rail by the SBM PCs. I know that you test system wattage already but I would like to see how much current of each voltage they draw, possibly taken from a custom modded high wattage PSU like the one x-bit made for similar measurements.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]allantang[/nom]I wish there were more info on this stuff, so this would be great!I think room temp should also be taken into account. It will make a huge difference if the room is 15C or 25C.[/citation]
My friend, those are low temps by My standards. Im sitting in 28-29 C daily. My temps are much higher than other people because of this, and I end up spending quite a fair amount extra in order to keep stuff cool.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The power supply is the most important part of a computer system.

It's good to see it finally getting the attention it deserves. A very, very good idea.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I hope you won't exclude the sub 500W PSUs as most of the review sites do. I want to build a small and quiet PC with a powerfull GPU. A 450W PSU is plenty power for that, just nobody realy reviews PSUs with such low power.

Status
Not open for further replies.