Sorry if this is the wrong place.

endyen

Splendid
I suspect the message is "frequency out of range" since a lot of monitors say that, when they get no signal.
If you are having a problem because your system is shutting down, we may be able to help if you give us some more info.
Knowing what parts you have would help, along with any factors involved in the shutdown. (gaming? idleing? ,and how long it takes to reach shutdown, from boot up.)

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Gottcha, sorry for that.

Dual Athlon Core 4400+ on a MSI K8N Neo4.

2 Gigs of OCZ ram.

ATI 8500 PCIe XL Pe I think.

A 120 GB IDE HD

A 300 GB SATA HD

No floppy

NEC DVD Burner.

I think that's it. If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks.

If it's actually just powering itself off instantly, I'd first slave in a new power supply....find a name brand/quality 350-400 watt unit...

(What are the cpu/system temps in the BIOS/PC HEalth Status?)

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Thanks for your reply.

The system itself doesn't power down. The fans continue to run, lights stay on. Sorry I guess I didn't explain that as well as I could have.

Basically the screen goes blank in the middle of a game and then the "Frequeny..." message appears.

Could it be the refresh rate of the monitor? And what should that be set at? I have a 19" Optiquest Z90.

Thanks for your input.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
sounds like heat, try running without the case side.

if it was the refresh rate it should state that at start up.(is game set to different rate to the desktop?)

also try the suggestion above it could just be the gfx not getting enough juice under high load.

Could it be the refresh rate of the monitor? And what should that be set at? I have a 19" Optiquest Z90.

i would google it but i did that for one of my monitors once and got lots of different answers, to be safe i would try and find the manual or check the manufacturers website. I noticed alot of stores state the same monitors at there highest refresh and resolution when in reality you can only use the highest refresh rate at the lower resolutions.

mpjesse

Splendid
According to this:

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/optiquest/z90/#specs

The maximum refresh rate is 88hz. Though, I wouldn't run it at that. Set it to 70 or 75hz and see if that fixes things. Beware that you can't specifc refresh rate in the OSD on some monitors (dunno if urs is one of 'em).

Where exactly does the "frequency over range" message appear on the screen? In the middle? Does it look like a BIOS message?

-mpjesse

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Thanks for your answers.

I'll have to get another PSU and try that. And verify my refresh rates and see if I can get some values from View Sonics web site.

Also I don't believe it is a heat issue as I have had the side off the case and been running it with a little desk fan blowing on the Graphics card, RAM and CPU. And through the various different temp monitoring programs I've tried all temps appear to be in the correct ranges.

The message that appears is in the middle of the screen. A big solid blue block with white letters similar to the "Check Signal" message you get if the monitor isn't connected. So it is not a BIOS message.

Thanks again for your ideas and please let me know if you have any others.

neo-tech

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
You didnt mention what PSU you were using? I ask this because I recently built a PC using the MSI K8N Neo4-F and my 350watt with a 12v/8amp that could not supply enough power-and you have a build that would require more power than I needed[MSI manual recommended a 12vAUX connector with 18amps!] I upgraded to an Antec Smartpower2:500watt, 24pin ATX,12v[19amp],PCI-E and SATA power connectors.
Hopefully its something as simply as a power supply in your case.

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Interesting. Thanks for that PSU info and sorry I forgot to list mine.

My current PSU is a 460 Watt Enermax EG465P-VE Ver. 1.2

I can not find a rating for the 12vAUX connector but I will keep searching online and in it's manual.

neo-tech

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I looked up your PSU after I saw your reply and it looks like it is capable of handling your power needs.

Did you get the 24pin ATX adapter?

WJC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
8O The messages you are getting are telling you exactly what you the problem is.

The game or app you are using is setting the refresh rate to high, your monitor is smart enough to shut down and let you know.

Try turning some of the settings down in the game.

The only other problem could be that your monitor is busy dying on you, which I doubt.

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Well I checked my game settings and the settings for my video card and they are all at 75MHz at 1024X768.

Maybe my monitor is just on its last leg.

Thanks for all the help guys. If I figure out a definate solution I'll post it here in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I did think of that. The drivers are the latest supplied by ATI on their web site.

Unfotunately this did not fix the issue. Thanks for the head ups!

mpjesse

Splendid
Do't listen to these clowns telling the problem is with ur power supply, 24 pin ATX connector, or video card drivers. PSu's have absolutely nothing to do w/ the error you're getting. Neither do drivers. If you're getting this error in POST, it impossible that the drivers are the problem. Same w/ power supply. It is <possible> the problem is with the video card... but at this point it mostly likely your monitor. Have u tried hooking up another monitor to it?

-mpjessse

ionicpower

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I'm leaning toward video card or monitor as well.

The problem doesn't happen during POST. It is just random when in game. And it has happened with a few different games not one specific one.

I'll try to test another monitor but since it is a radom event that I can not seem to duplicate on demand it might take awhile to determine if it is the monitor or not.

Thanks

ikaz

Distinguished
That error realy sounds like your monitor/video basicaly its getting a signal from the video card that to high for it. You never stated if this only happends with one game or all games. If it only one game you may want to make sure Vscyn is on. Basicaly that should limit your FPS to your monitor current refresh rate and it could help with your problem IIRC.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
That error realy sounds like your monitor/video basicaly its getting a signal from the video card that to high for it. You never stated if this only happends with one game or all games. If it only one game you may want to make sure Vscyn is on. Basicaly that should limit your FPS to your monitor current refresh rate and it could help with your problem IIRC.

im gonna apologize first but it boils the yellow stuff when people dont read posts properly.

ou never stated if this only happends with one game or all games

And it has happened with a few different games not one specific one.

I'll try to test another monitor but since it is a radom event that I can not seem to duplicate on demand it might take awhile to determine if it is the monitor or not.

if this is the case try and find a spot where its most likly to happen so you can properly test it, try putting your GFX under load by using 3dmark05/06, or find the game that the problem occurs the most frequently and try to simulate the same thing each time.

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh my bad, I thought it was happening during POST.

In that case, it could be drivers- but i think it's unlikely. Still sounds like ur monitor is flaking out. You can try bringing the refresh rate down to 65hz and see if that helps. Although, that might kill ur eyes!

-mpjesse