SOU: Chapter 1

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

Hey there

I'm playing as a monk, and I'm about level 5 now. I'm in the ruins beneath
the gnoll caves, where you have to defeat all the mephits and elementals.
There is just 1 problem: My monk barely damages the air mephits/elementals,
and can't even touch the earth variants......
I've had more problems with my monk like this, how can I solve it? Why is it
that the monk is so weak, shouldn't I be able to do more damage than 3-8? My
henchmen do about 15 or the likes :S.........

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:25:03 +0200, "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote:

>Hey there
>
>I'm playing as a monk, and I'm about level 5 now. I'm in the ruins beneath
>the gnoll caves, where you have to defeat all the mephits and elementals.
>There is just 1 problem: My monk barely damages the air mephits/elementals,
>and can't even touch the earth variants......
>I've had more problems with my monk like this, how can I solve it? Why is it
>that the monk is so weak, shouldn't I be able to do more damage than 3-8? My
>henchmen do about 15 or the likes :S.........

I don't remember the encounter in question, it's been too long.

However, it sounds to me like what's happening is that you are facing
an opponent with some damage resistance that you can barely punch
through.

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

Ow and I forgot to mention that the mephits regenerate themselves slowly,
cancelling the few damage I deal to them ;-p

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:25:03 +0200, "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hey there
>>
>>I'm playing as a monk, and I'm about level 5 now. I'm in the ruins beneath
>>the gnoll caves, where you have to defeat all the mephits and elementals.
>>There is just 1 problem: My monk barely damages the air
>>mephits/elementals,
>>and can't even touch the earth variants......
>>I've had more problems with my monk like this, how can I solve it? Why is
>>it
>>that the monk is so weak, shouldn't I be able to do more damage than 3-8?
>>My
>>henchmen do about 15 or the likes :S.........
>
> I don't remember the encounter in question, it's been too long.
>
> However, it sounds to me like what's happening is that you are facing
> an opponent with some damage resistance that you can barely punch
> through.

Jup I think that is the situation. I think I remember something about
'absorbs 5 damage' or something similar. Which isn't so great for me, since
my monk does 1-8+2 damage..... that, plus the fact that the mephits are in
groups of 3-5 and they regenerate....
So did I do something wrong with my monk? (level 5) and is it supposed to do
more damage than this on its current level? (my rogue/priest henchmen does
more often than not more damage than I do) Or can I do somehting else about
this?

ikke wrote:
> Or can I do somehting else about
> this?

Fight somewhere else until you level again? Potion of Bull's Strength to
increase your damage?

Katy

"ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote in message

> "Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:25:03 +0200, "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey there
>>>
>>>I'm playing as a monk, and I'm about level 5 now. I'm in the ruins
>>>beneath
>>>the gnoll caves, where you have to defeat all the mephits and elementals.
>>>There is just 1 problem: My monk barely damages the air
>>>mephits/elementals,
>>>and can't even touch the earth variants......

You need something that does elemental damage (fire, acid, cold etc.) Find
some gloves or gauntlets. They're usually available from temple stores.
What are your stats?

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

Thx everyone for the suggestions!

Those gloves were a bit hard to find, but in the end I found them and that
made life a bit easier. It still didn't completely do the trick, so I
finally solved it like this: I parried with the elementals (only dealing a
few damage now and them) while my henchmen steadily took them out ;-p Not
entirely the way I wanted to play, but hey, it worked!