g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Looking at getting a new sound card and narrowed it done to these:

bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface $95 with rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829127002

HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card $175
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271003

Heavily leaning to the Bluegear given the price difference. I'll run it to my audio receiver with RCA cables, will go to optical connection in a year or so. Listen in stereo. Used strictly for listening to music, streaming and mp3 mostly, mp3 recorded at 320Kbps. Any good reason to spend the extra $80. Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Currently have the Audigy 2 ZS, which is not working, will play the first song and garbles the next. Uninstalled and reinstalled the newest drivers but no luck. System is a 939 X2 4200 with XP and all updates. Read somewhere a while back there were compatibility problems. Have used Creative for years and now looking for an alternative

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I have a X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatality Pro series and its got three modes, game mode, music mode, and one more. Its great for gaming and when you want just your music change it to music mode.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Thanks, given all the feedback am rethinking Creative

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Hay I also had an Audigy 2ZS just a few months ago until the EAX died on me. The difference will only be noticed if your speakers can handle what is fed to them from the sound card, don't let you speaker system limit what you here. I'm using my home theater systems THX certified speakers, and I must say Wow.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Speakers not really an issue, have a pair of Schnell bookshelves and a Velodyne sub. At this time is it's the source, i.e., computer, that's limiting the quality. Once we get settled into a new place planning on getting a new receiver for optical connection, current receiver only allows for analogue. Kind of frustrating, everyone focuses on video and gaming and relatively little on audio and music, not just the tech companies but reviews as well, e.g., this site has charts on just about everything but audio cards and computer speakers (HINT).

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I have heard those Velodyne subs, there tens sound like 12" inchers. I would have bought one but my speaker system already came with a sub. You really have a good system there.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
You should look in to the Auzentech Prelude. According to Ncixus.com, they just got their stock in...other stores should follow soon. I have one preordered myself. It's a bit on the expensive side...it came out to about 200$ with shipping when I preordered it, but it seems worth it. /shrug, we'll see though.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Prelude is looking like the way to go, although seems you dont get a front IO with it. I have a Fatal1ty with the front IO (which is what made me go with it)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I definitely need to do more research given the Prelude. From what I've read so far, it seems like the C Media 18788 is better for music while the X-Fi is better for gaming.

Scotts81

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
X-FI's are great fro gaming but for audio (music or movies) get the Omega Claro Plus, Omega Striker ($75.00) or Bluegears. Have tried the Striker B+ and the regular Claro A-, both have fantastic audio quality for music and DVD playback, much better than any Creative product while the X-FI's get great reviews for gamers. Your first impressions were the right ones-stick with it.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

I too am a music enthusiast who feeds a receiver from a sound card. If quality audio is what you're after, consider an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. The card is an older design but still in production because it's so good. I bought one last week and it sounds much better than the Audigy that it replaced. You'll be able to find it for less than $100.

One gotcha - it has no official Vista drivers (yet) and it's pretty much just for listening, not gaming.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Will check it out, Vista isn't an issue right now because I plan on using XP at least until Vista SP1. It could be a problem in the future given I tend to use audio and video cards through several builds but M-Audio has a very good reputation.

systemlord, "I have heard those Velodyne subs, there tens sound like 12" inchers. I would have bought one but my speaker system already came with a sub. You really have a good system there."

Actually got the Veldyne from Circuitcity several years ago and saved some money. Researching I found out the Circuicity Velodyne has the same electronics as the ones solid at audio dealers, the difference being the enclosure at Circuitcity is a less expensive but no real downgrade in sound quality. If you ever need a new sub and there's a Circuitcity nearby, worth looking at