[SOLVED] Sound card problem

Nov 11, 2021
Hello,
I have had sound issues since the last month and I have not found solution in the whole Internet yet. The problems started suddenly when one day my friend told me in discord that I sound horrific. When I heard a record of myself I tought that the headset mic is broken and bought a new headset,but the problems did not finish then. It was the same as before and then I took my PC to the local computer repair shop and they told me that my sound card died and put a new one in the PC. At first I did not have any problems, but after a day they showed up again. I took the PC back to the repair shop and in front of me they tested the sound and there was not any problems. They declared that I am crazy,because of the explanation of the problem and send me back home. Since that day I can not use my mic and I am begging for help!
sound card - C-Media PCI ( I didnt find the model)
Headset - Canyon Corax
motherboard - ASRock H110M-HDV R3.0
SMBIOS - v2.8 (im not sure about that)
OS - windows 10 Home
I must say that headset's mic works on my laptop very well and the driver of the sound card is from 2009, but I didnt find newer one. Also I must mention that I am using FxSound audio Enhancer to make the sound better, because it sounded very bad.
This is how my mic sounds - https://voca.ro/1oHzDVWShec1
and this is how i normally sounds - https://voca.ro/1nrTrBvXK75q

Solution
No matter how many audio systems you have in your machine, Windows can use only ONE of them at a time for each major function. For example, in your case you MAY have an audio chip on your mobo (usually by Realtek), one in your C-Media sound card, and a third on your video card. But I expect that Windows currently is set to use only the C-Media board for all sound functions.

Technically, you can use different audio devices output at the same time, on a per application basis. I've done it, but given only a handful of applications let you control this most will just output to whatever the default is.

As far as the OP goes, I question that soundcard; C-Media branded soundcards are rare, they generally license out their boards...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would be a good idea to try using your mobo's audio chip system (rather than the audio card) for the MIC only. To do that there's a trick to do.

No matter how many audio systems you have in your machine, Windows can use only ONE of them at a time for each major function. For example, in your case you MAY have an audio chip on your mobo (usually by Realtek), one in your C-Media sound card, and a third on your video card. But I expect that Windows currently is set to use only the C-Media board for all sound functions.

In the search window at bottom left type sound settings, then click on that in the window that pops up. You will get a new window that includes a drop-down selector to Choose your Input Device. Click on the little down-arrow and choose the Realtek system for this one function, audio input. Leave your output device (the board) unchanged. Then unplug your headset mic from the rear audio card panel and plug in in EITHER on the mobo's rear panel in the Mic In jack, OR on the front in the Mic In jack there. Now try to see if that makes audio recording better. If it makes the improvements you need, you have a solution. OR, if this makes no difference, MAYBE your mic is faulty.

Another possibility to check: In the configuration settings for your sound card, is there a setting for the sensitivity or type of microphone? Most headset mics are relatively high output for common "Line In" signal levels. But some cards also allow for use of certain high-quality mics with lower signal levels that need a boost. Boosting a common headset mic signal will result in significant distortion due to signal overload and clipping.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021
Sounds like a lot of trouble for a simple headset to work. I am wondering why you're using a soundcard at all, what happens if you just use the audio ports on your motherboard?
I forgot to say that the audio ports of the motherboard burned out. Thats why I am using a sound card!

Nov 11, 2021
It would be a good idea to try using your mobo's audio chip system (rather than the audio card) for the MIC only. To do that there's a trick to do.

In the search window at bottom left type sound settings, then click on that in the window that pops up. You will get a new window that includes a drop-down selector to Choose your Input Device. Click on the little down-arrow and choose the Realtek system for this one function, audio input. Leave your output device (the board) unchanged. Then unplug your headset mic from the rear audio card panel and plug in in EITHER on the mobo's rear panel in the Mic In jack, OR on the front in the Mic In jack there. Now try to see if that makes audio recording better. If it makes the improvements you need, you have a solution. OR, if this makes no difference, MAYBE your mic is faulty.

Another possibility to check: In the configuration settings for your sound card, is there a setting for the sensitivity or type of microphone? Most headset mics are relatively high output for common "Line In" signal levels. But some cards also allow for use of certain high-quality mics with lower signal levels that need a boost. Boosting a common headset mic signal will result in significant distortion due to signal overload and clipping.
The mobo's audio panels burned out before I bought this sound card and that is why I am using it. Also there is no option for sensitivity in the configuration settings. Shall I buy a new sound card or there is other thing I can try? In the repair shop they made my mic work with the sound card, but when I came back for a second time and explained the problem again they din not do anything to fix it. I am also worried about that there can be problems with a new sound card and I do not want to take hasty decisions. What should I do?

Technically, you can use different audio devices output at the same time, on a per application basis. I've done it, but given only a handful of applications let you control this most will just output to whatever the default is.

As far as the OP goes, I question that soundcard; C-Media branded soundcards are rare, they generally license out their boards to other companies that release their own branded Soundcards. The fact the device is IDs as a C-Media branded soundcard makes me suspect that audio drivers are not installed, which could explain the issues you are having.

Solution