Negative528

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I just bought a new motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P). I'm trying to decide if it would be better to use the onboard sound or should I use my old Creative Audigy 2 zs?

Link to mo-board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

I just don't know much about sound card tech, so I don't know if the onboard sound has surpassed my old card.

I generally use headphones and I mostly use my computer for gaming.

since you have the sound card already why not try the onboard for a while and then install the augigy and let us all know if you can hear a difference through your head phones .
Im picking you wont unless the headphones/speakers are really good quality

Negative528

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
That's not a bad idea. My headphones are mid-range. My main concers would be which one handles directional sounds better and has fewer glitching/lag/etc errors. Of course, quality is important too but that's a lot harder (for me) to detect.

If I do try it out I'll post back with results.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I still use onboard audio...:(...but it still works like a charm. I really don't think there is too much difference in the 2, Creative Audigy and onboard, but Creative seems to give a tiny boost further than the regular sound. Either way, you will get HD sound w/studio quality!!

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
I own the Creative Audigy 2 ZS. And from personal experience its better than onboard for gaming.
But onboard sounds better for movies and multimedia.

^
I have an X-fi eXtremeGamer card. it was $80 and well worth it. I can hear stuff that i couldn't before. You know, people sneaking up on me. COD4 totally changed for me back when I bought it. Even with headphones I know exactly where the sound is coming from