Sound card recommendations?

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I'm currently running with a Logitech z5500 5.1 surround sound system for my pc and was wondering what a good sound card would be to get the most benefit from my system? Havn't done a whole lot of computer building before so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

theokus

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

I would choose an external card.
Don't expect much of a "cheapo" ;)

My recommendations have not changed much. Basically comes down to budget/needs more then anything.

Low End:
ASUS Xonar DG

Budget:
ASUS Xonar DS

Mid-Range:
ASUS Xonar D1/DX
HT Omega Striker

High-End:
Auzentech Prelude
Auzentech Meridian 2g
ASUS Xonar D2/D2X
HT Omega Claro [Non-Halo line]

Top-Tier:
ASUS Essence ST/STX
Auzentech Forte
HT Omega Claro Halo [and varients]

I will say that most anything above the mid-range will probably be a little limited by the Z5500's [good solid speaker set, but not high-end]. On a pure price/feature basis, the ASUS Xonar D1/DX and HT Omega Striker really stand out, and are the two cards I would look at first.

gamerk316's list is very good and i agree with it.
However i would also consider an Auzentech Bravura which falls inbetween the mid and high-end range.
He's dead on about the Xonar D1/DX and Striker being the best price and performance wise.

^^ Problem with the Bravura is its only EAX 4 [And X-fi branded; Borderline false advertising in my mind], and really doesn't stand out enough to stand on its own between the Prelude and Forte. Just hard to recommend, even if it is a solid offering.

Only creative cards support EAX HD.
The rest support 3.0

2.0 actually.

ASUS offeres EAX 5.0 emulation on all its cards, which worked really well the last time I tested [I stress: 5.0 only, EAX 3-4 is not supported].

Auzentech uses the X-fi chipset on all its non-C-Media model cards, so the Prelude and Forte both support full EAX capabilities. [Meridian 2g is C-media based, Bravura is EAX 4.0 and prior only].

theokus

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Have a look here:
http://www.esi-audio.com/

or here
http://www.emu.com/products/

Only to show you the difference between "noise" and music ;)
(bad joke, I know)

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Keep in mind that with my z5500s, games will be coming first and foremost (movies and such is also important but not top priority.) I was looking at reviews for the Auzentech Forte but it seems to be taken off the shelves in a lot of online stores? And people were mentioning problems with the forte and Windows 7? Do you guys know anything about this?

I've been using a Forte on Win7 64 for 1yr and have experienced 0 problems.

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I've also looked at the HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier since I also have 5.1 headphones and high quality music would be a great bonus. Reviews are fantastic for this card, best I've seen even though it is a little pricey. I was wondering how this card held up for gaming?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-271-005&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo