Question Sound card with remote or something similar?

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Right then,

my flat is above my shop. In my shop is a PC and I was using old...very old Fujitsu-Siemens 2.1 speakers. I believe they are 14 (+/-) year old. They use a 3.5mm plug into the PC's mainboard jack (not the headphone jack, mind). As the only volume control is on one speaker or my keyboard, it was always problematic when a client entered the shop. I finally bought a sound bar with remote and like it. I can finally mute or control the volume from anywhere inside the shop.

So, I moved the old speaker system into my flat and to the PC that my telly is connected to. Again, to the mainboard's 3.5mm audio jack. Well, there's no means to remain lazy and adjust the sound :LOL: without getting up and turning the knob on the speaker. There is also no 3.5mm jack on the telly. The telly is a Samsung flat screen, roughly 6 year old.

Is there some type of sound card I could install into the PC that would include a remote? Or perhaps something that would connect the PC and speakers (between the two) that involves a remote control?

I'm merely trying to find a solution on the cheap that doesn't involve me spending more money on a new speaker system since the sound from the old one suit my small living room.

Ideas?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Not a remote for a specifically for a sound card, but a simple small keyboard/remote that connects to the PC will work fine. I have a few Rii keyboards and this remote looking thing should work
Have not tired those two though myself.

Thank you for taking time to send me links as well. I'm no sure this is what I'm after and the compatibility list, well, doesn't help. Does mention Win8, but not Win11. Moreover, it mentions being more for android. While it does mention downloading a driver, One would think an app would also be needed. Something would be needed to tell the remote what to control.

I honestly think this a non-starter. Speakers made today come with a remote and I feel the only solution is to sell the old ones and buy one with a remote. Understandable with today's technology....disappointing but again understandable.

Thanks again for the links and reply.

D

Deleted member 14196

Why not just get a used or remanufactured Samsung sound bar for the TV. That’s what I use. Works with the volume control on your TV

I got a remanufactured one from Amazon for $90. Works and sounds great

Thank you for taking time to send me links as well. I'm no sure this is what I'm after and the compatibility list, well, doesn't help. Does mention Win8, but not Win11. Moreover, it mentions being more for android. While it does mention downloading a driver, One would think an app would also be needed. Something would be needed to tell the remote what to control.

I honestly think this a non-starter. Speakers made today come with a remote and I feel the only solution is to sell the old ones and buy one with a remote. Understandable with today's technology....disappointing but again understandable.

Thanks again for the links and reply.

All the small wireless keyboards work with any of the computers and will control the volume just fine. The remote looking ones may have some specific compatibility issues, but if it works with Windows 8 it should work on 10 and 11 also.