Question Soundcard & headset for gaming

syncis

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Hi!

I was hoping someone could shed some light on some of my questions here.
I currently have xonar essence stx 2 soundcard and QPAD 1339 headset but my issue is that sound quality is low/bad for the money i spent on this, and the surround ( virtual ) sound it not quite what i was expecting.
My headset is connected to my soundcard with 3.5mm.
I am a gamer and looking for the ultimate setup basically...

1.) With 3.5mm connection, can i only get "virtual" surround from the software? Not real surround right?
2.) Whats the difference of using headset with USB connection? Is that better for surround sounds?
3.) If i am using headset with USB, does it use the internal soundcard ?
4.) What is the "best" connection from a headset to a soundcard, is it optic cable?
5.) Anyone have a good soundcard/headset setup?

I dont want any wireless headset, and almost all premium headset comes with 3.5mm and not optic/usb. Am i missing something or is 3.5mm the way to go?

Thanks!

syncis

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
It work good for me 2 but for premium products i just expected more.
Is 3.5mm still the way to go for gaming with dedicated soundcard or whats the optimal build?

How much are you willing to spend? There are lots of options. For best sound quality I’d avoid gaming headsets and buy a high quality stereo headset and if needed use a separate microphone. There is nothing special about gaming headsets apart from a lot of marketing. You can then look at separate amplifier solutions such as a DAC.

Virtual surround sound is done via software but this software is sometimes part of the USB soundcard and unless one of the rare multi driver headsets (don’t bother with these) all the headsets are just stereo with software produced virtual surround sound. It’s worth noting that from what I have read professional gamers use stereo more often than virtual surround sound, virtual surround sound distorts/adjusts the sound to try and trick the brain into thinking it’s directional when it’s not.

Headsets with USB have their own soundcard built into the USB and do not use the systems soundcard.

syncis

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
How much are you willing to spend? There are lots of options. For best sound quality I’d avoid gaming headsets and buy a high quality stereo headset and if needed use a separate microphone. There is nothing special about gaming headsets apart from a lot of marketing. You can then look at separate amplifier solutions such as a DAC.

Virtual surround sound is done via software but this software is sometimes part of the USB soundcard and unless one of the rare multi driver headsets (don’t bother with these) all the headsets are just stereo with software produced virtual surround sound. It’s worth noting that from what I have read professional gamers use stereo more often than virtual surround sound, virtual surround sound distorts/adjusts the sound to try and trick the brain into thinking it’s directional when it’s not.

Headsets with USB have their own soundcard built into the USB and do not use the systems soundcard.

Well lets say 500-600$ for soundcard and a headset.
But i really dont want to have a microphone separated from the headset, i barely have any room left :)
Oh ok, so USB headset dont use system soundcard, they have their own.......thats very nice to know!
Do you have any suggestions for a soundcard/gaming-headset combination that is better than what i have now? And obviously not 3.5mm connection because thats what i am using now. ( dont even know if this is "bad" but i am starting to think optic is better for some reason )
I should mention i only care about gaming.