SP2 - System hangs during startup

This started about 3 days ago. I turned on my computer, and it asked me
which OS to load (LILO Bootloader). I let it choose Windows_XP, and it
loaded my Windows XP Partition. And kept loading it. And about 5 minutes
later, it was still loading it. So I tried restarting, and it kept doing it.
I tried a few of the recovery options, but only Safe Mode worked (not sure
about Safe Mode with Networking or Command Prompt). I performed a BootLog
restart. I could still get into Linux and see all of my Hard drives, so it
started to worry me alot. a couple of days ago, I decided to get out my XP
Pro cd, and try a Repair Install (Like I had just done on our other familly
PC). It copied the files over, restarted, and started to load. And kepts
starting to load. And kept going on just like before. I decided to restart
and hit F8. I saw it still had Safe Mode, and chose that. It booted into
Windows again, then gave me an error that said "Windows Setup cannot be run
in Safe Mode". Then it kicked me back out and restarted my PC.
Has anyone seen anything like this? Its really anoying...

The Bootlog, when read, looks like Windows is trying to load drivers, and
gets to a point where it refuses to load drivers fast enough, and will loop
though them not loading them....

Specs (Off the top of my Head):
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (or around that spec)
512Mb Ram
DFI Motherboard (Via Chipset)
GeForce 5200FX Video Card (I think)
Onboard Sound
DVD Writer
250Gb Hard Drive with 20GB set aside for Linux
250Gb Hard Drive (Recient Adition)

I have access to a Floppy Disk that lets me edit the Windows NT/2000/XP
Registry from outside Windows, if I need to. I would prefer not to have to
Re-install, as I dont really want to loose all my registry settings.
Formatting is NOT an option... AT ALL!

Any help would REALLY be appreaciated!

Log on to Safe mode ,disable any start up items and disable all the
unnecessay runinng services ,also you can unistall the LILO Bootloader and
then post the results here.

--
nightlegend@tiscali.co.uk
There's nothing so powerful as truth ,and often nothing so strange.
"Alan Brown @ultratune.com.au>" <alanb<REMOVE> wrote in message
> This started about 3 days ago. I turned on my computer, and it asked me
> which OS to load (LILO Bootloader). I let it choose Windows_XP, and it
> loaded my Windows XP Partition. And kept loading it. And about 5 minutes
> later, it was still loading it. So I tried restarting, and it kept doing
it.
> I tried a few of the recovery options, but only Safe Mode worked (not sure
> about Safe Mode with Networking or Command Prompt). I performed a BootLog
> restart. I could still get into Linux and see all of my Hard drives, so it
> started to worry me alot. a couple of days ago, I decided to get out my XP
> Pro cd, and try a Repair Install (Like I had just done on our other
familly
> PC). It copied the files over, restarted, and started to load. And kepts
> starting to load. And kept going on just like before. I decided to restart
> and hit F8. I saw it still had Safe Mode, and chose that. It booted into
> Windows again, then gave me an error that said "Windows Setup cannot be
run
> in Safe Mode". Then it kicked me back out and restarted my PC.
> Has anyone seen anything like this? Its really anoying...
>
> The Bootlog, when read, looks like Windows is trying to load drivers, and
> gets to a point where it refuses to load drivers fast enough, and will
loop
> though them not loading them....
>
> Specs (Off the top of my Head):
> AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (or around that spec)
> 512Mb Ram
> DFI Motherboard (Via Chipset)
> GeForce 5200FX Video Card (I think)
> Onboard Sound
> DVD Writer
> 250Gb Hard Drive with 20GB set aside for Linux
> 250Gb Hard Drive (Recient Adition)
>
> I have access to a Floppy Disk that lets me edit the Windows NT/2000/XP
> Registry from outside Windows, if I need to. I would prefer not to have to
> Re-install, as I dont really want to loose all my registry settings.
> Formatting is NOT an option... AT ALL!
>
> Any help would REALLY be appreaciated!

Unfortunetly, I cant login to Safe Mode, as it gives me the Windows Setup
message....

Is it possable to disable that by editing the Registry?

"NightLegend" <nightlegend@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Log on to Safe mode ,disable any start up items and disable all the
> unnecessay runinng services ,also you can unistall the LILO Bootloader and
> then post the results here.
>
> --
> nightlegend@tiscali.co.uk
> There's nothing so powerful as truth ,and often nothing so strange.

TRENDING THREADS