Question Speakers Stopped Working

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 tower model Y1B39AV I bought in 2017 running the current version of Windows 10. It has 2 audio jacks on the back: 1 for input (line in or mic, software selected) and one for output. There's no audio card, just the motherboard audio connectors.

Today for no apparent reason my speakers stopped playing. I rebooted and tried different sound sources, made sure volume on the speakers and in the software was turned up, checked the audio control panel for anything odd, made sure everything was properly plugged in, while trying to play something wiggled every plug and cable involved, tried headphones plugged into the audio jack, and tried a USB-C to audio adapter cable connected to both the speakers and the headphones. Nothing worked. Twice while testing I heard normal sound for maybe a second or two when I wasn't touching anything but I couldn't get it back. In the Device Manager I see Intel, Synaptics, Logitech Web Cam, and NVIDIA sound devices. None show any problems and all drivers are up to date. Finally when I touch the audio plug for the speakers I hear a hum. I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Do I need a sound card?

Thanks,
Mike

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A change might have happened in a Windows setting that you did not expect. Starting point: no matter how many audio devices your system has with or without working drivers, Windows can use only ONE of the for sound output at a time. The user gets to set which is to be used, but that setting might have been changed so that NO sound is being sent out of the rear panel jacks from the audio chip on your mobo.

In the bottom left search window type sound settings and open that panel. The first group of things is the Sound Output settings. Use the drop-down chooser to look at all the sound output devices available to you. The web pages for that computer indicate the mobo audio chip system is by Conexant, possibly model CX20632, so look for some device with a name like that. Choose it to be your Default Sound Output device. If necessary, indicate it should use Speakers rather than some other output. Back out of this and try the sound now. It should be able to send out sounds on your normal rear panel jacks.

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got time to try them out and started by trying to play something from YouTube, and it worked fine. Now I can't get it to fail.

The only change was a Windows update "KB5039211 (OS Builds 19044.4529 and 19045.4529)" that was installed last night.

So nothing to try now since a I can't tell if I fixed it if it's not happening. I'll be back if this recurs and I need help again.

Mike

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Monitor, Event Viewer, and Update History.

Any one or all may have captured some interim error, warning code, or informational event related to the audio failure.

If not then will second @Paperdoc 's suggestion to leave well enough alone and get on with your life.

Will add a suggestion: you have just learned/experienced what sort of things can happen with respect to computers, etc..

Very good time to ensure that all important data is backed up for the system in question.

At least 2 x backups to other locations and be sure to verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Just in case something else just stops without warning.....

Reactions: Paperdoc

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

It's back. Intermittent for a few minutes, then not working at all.

I looked at Sound Settings & Output Device: there's only 1 choice available "Speakers (Synaptics HD Audio)".

I looked in the Event Viewer/Custom Views/Device Manager for Synaptics HD Audio: no events shown.

In the Reliability Monitor saw 2 Windows updates but nothing else.

This HP tower PC has Intel LGA1151 Q270 Desktop Motherboard, Intel i5-6500 CPU at 3.2GHz, (1x16GB) DDR4-2400 Unbuffered Memory, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti display card, 1 TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, 250W PSU, Win 10 Pro.

Re backups, I learned a long time ago about backups. Each night I do 4.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks,
Mike

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you checked for poor / intermittent connections? There are a few places this can happen.

1. At the jack where the speaker wire plugs in. If the contacts in there are dirty or loose, that can cause this. Try gently wiggling the jack in the socket and see if that causes sound to change. If it does, UNplug and re-plug several times. This MIGHT "scrub" some oxidation off contacts.

2. With one hand hold the plug body in the socket as motionless as possible. With the other hand wiggle the cord gently just where it enters the plug body. There may be a break in the wires inside at this bendy point. If so, you can cut the plug off the end and replace it. BUT when you do that you MUST use some testing process on the old jack to determine exactly which of the wires inside (usually three) should go to which contact of the shaft of the new jack you are installing.

3. Go along the entire cord length and gently bend it back and forth. If there is a weak spot with breaks in the wires inside you cannot see, this can cause sound to start and stop. If that happens you MAY want to try cutting out the section with problems and re-connecting the rest IF you have some skill in this area.

4. Similar to #2 above, test at the end of the cable where it enters the speaker box. ALSO, IF you can, open the speaker box and examine where the wires of the cable are connected inside. If you find a bad connection in these spots you may be able to snip off the cable just outside the speaker box, remove the small piece of defective cable, and re-connect the cable inside the speaker box, then close up.

All of these require some equipment and skill to detect a flaw IF this is the real cause and to repair it. If you don't have those but DO find a cable flaw by these tests, you may find an electronics repair shop who can do the repairs. But be sure you get a clear price estimate! They might charge more that a new speaker set.

From my own personal experience, I once had a similar problem with a speaker set I had been using for over a year - ONE speaker was intermittent. When I opened that unit I found that the wires coming in had never been soldered into place at the factory! They were just sort of looped into the contacts. A RARE and odd flaw I could fix easily. I'm still using those speakers 15 years later.

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Paperdoc,

I tried most of that before. Unplugged/replugged, wiggled and bent everything, and nothing helped. I didn't open up the boxes. However since I also later tried headphones and they didn't work either I gave up on the idea that it was the speakers.

I'm thinking maybe I should try a sound card. I know that's not guaranteed but given inexpensive ones available for around $20 that's not a big risk. I just listen to voice recordings on the HP speakers so I don't need high quality sound.

Mike