[SOLVED] Spun cpu fan backwards while cleaning

IAmAEggHead

Prominent
Mar 18, 2020
So I heard that while cleaning your pc you should hold on the fans so that it wouldn't spin.... So I totally did the opposite of that, will there be any problems? I stopped immediately after it started spinning tho, and what's the reason to hold it so that it wouldn't spin?

Solution
So I heard that while cleaning your pc you should hold on the fans so that it wouldn't spin.... So I totally did the opposite of that, will there be any problems? I stopped immediately after it started spinning tho, and what's the reason to hold it so that it wouldn't spin?
A short burst of air won't cause any immediate or long term problem for the fan. Prolonged use of high pressured air, either from a can or a compressor will cause the fan bearing to wear out prematurely.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
A short burst of air won't cause any immediate or long term problem for the fan. Prolonged use of high pressured air, either from a can or a compressor will cause the fan bearing to wear out prematurely.

Reactions: IAmAEggHead
Solution