Spurious, repeated keystrokes when using HP wireless keybo..

Am using an HP wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. HP has replaced
the receiver, mouse and keyboard, and I'm still experiencing this
problem:

About 10 times per day, I will be typing away, and I'll look up to see
that the keyboard (I guess) has generated 17 or so repeated characters,
and has ignored the actual characters I've typed. It's always 12-16
characters, and never, say, one or two extra characters.

I also seem to expereince "missed" characters that I've typed - when
this occurs, it's generally two or three characters. I used to think
that I had misstyped, but lately I've become convinced that I've typed
ok, but the app never received the keystrokes.

I'm running on an HP Presario R3000 (3+ MHz) with Windows XP SP2, 1.5GB
memory. I've downloaded and installed all the latest Windows updates
that I've been offered. I'm not sure if I have the latest drivers for
a wireless keyboard, nor am I sure how to check this.

Is this a typical problem with wireless keyboards? Does anybody have
any information on what might be happening?

Thanks...

It would help if you would tell us if this "wireless" set up is USB, PS/2 or
a mixture of the two, for conencting onto your PC.

<david.f.jenkins@usa.net> wrote in message
> Am using an HP wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. HP has replaced
> the receiver, mouse and keyboard, and I'm still experiencing this
> problem:
>
> About 10 times per day, I will be typing away, and I'll look up to see
> that the keyboard (I guess) has generated 17 or so repeated characters,
> and has ignored the actual characters I've typed. It's always 12-16
> characters, and never, say, one or two extra characters.
>
> I also seem to expereince "missed" characters that I've typed - when
> this occurs, it's generally two or three characters. I used to think
> that I had misstyped, but lately I've become convinced that I've typed
> ok, but the app never received the keystrokes.
>
> I'm running on an HP Presario R3000 (3+ MHz) with Windows XP SP2, 1.5GB
> memory. I've downloaded and installed all the latest Windows updates
> that I've been offered. I'm not sure if I have the latest drivers for
> a wireless keyboard, nor am I sure how to check this.
>
> Is this a typical problem with wireless keyboards? Does anybody have
> any information on what might be happening?
>
> Thanks...

The wireless receiver is attached to the laptop via USB 2.0 port.
Actually, that's only partially true. I've got the laptop sitting in
an HP XB2000 Expansion Base. *It* has the USB connector, and the Base
is attached to the laptop via an OEM cable and special connector on the
side of the laptop.

[I think that I might connect the receiver directly to the laptop via
one if its own USB connectors, just to eliminate or confirm the
Expansion Base as a possible culprit.]

I moved the receiver cable so that it connects directly with the PC,
and the spurious, repeated keystrokes disappeared. That tells me
there's soemthing wrong in the expansion base - I'll have to get back
online with HP and see if they won't replace that, too.

TRENDING THREADS