mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Alrite, so I bit the bullet and got a ssd and after a few issues it is now installed with win 7. My hdd has win 7 aswell and a fair few games etc. I have set ssd as boot device and all is working as expected, just wondering if I say, play bf3 or do any task that is currently on the hdd but I boot from ssd will I see any improvement or do I need to transfer from the hdd to ssd to actually use it? Cheers.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
so now its all installed and showing up correctly, but when i try and launch say bf3 from hdd when i boot from ssd it says its not installed, anyway to have my games saved on hdd or is it useless?

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
when I went from HDD to SSD i ended up wiping the HDD clean and re-installing all my games onto it. made for clean install and you can designate your game library on the HDD and launch your game via SSD.

And you can't use programs that are installed to the windows OS on the harddrive while booted from the SSD. You need to install the program under the SSDs OS. You can install it on either the harddrive or SSD but the performance is only affected if its on the SSD. Loom into steammover for swapping programs on and off the SSD

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
cheers guys. re downloading now. but i fkn downloaded it from the ssd but i saved it to the hdd cos i thought it was the way to go, 70% done and now i realise it was pointless, should have just left it on the hdd and not bothered re downloading or obviously saved it to the ssd. will steam mover allow me to move it from hdd to ssd once its done installing??

You need to reinstall all you games to the OS on the SSD. But, when given the location, you need to select your regular hard drive. See how that works? You must install the game to the OS on the SSD, but you can actually put the game and all the files on the regular hard drive so you don't use up all the space on the SSD. As mentioned, this will not really help with load times, but it makes for a very fast overall system that you will be quite happy with.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Alrite. So wat I have been doing is using the ssd as boot device and saving and installing to the hdd by just changing c: to f: when it gives me the save location as my hdd is obviously f: in my case. Once installed I open the folder of the game, find the application , for example bf3.exe and right click that and select send to desktop. It's only a 2kb shortcut and runs the game fine. Is that the correct way to go about it? For the record I only did that to try it out and will do it that way for most games to save space but I did use steam mover to actually install bf3 on the ssd as I find bf3 super slow to load and very glitchy and it has helped, so cheers for that suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS