Question SSD brand choice ?

Jul 8, 2023
I need some help with the choice of SSD storage. I need an external SATA SSD. I need it for my work with my music projects. Installing plugins, having sound and presets downloaded onto the SSD and then used constantly (i'm guessing i need both good read and write speeds). Maybe i'm going to install videogames on it as well, so i need to take this into account as well.

I would be grateful to receive suggestions as to which SSDs i should be looking at if i want to buy one

Jul 8, 2023
I'd consider buying 2 pieces:

An external enclosure of your choosing.

The SSD of your choosing to fit in that enclosure.

Rather than one piece: a pre-assembled drive/casing in which you accept whatever drive the manufacturer chooses to put into the casing.
Can you provide a couple of examples please?

Above are a couple of enclosure examples. There are many others.

Some take standard 2.5 inch SATA SSDs. Others take M.2 SSDs.

You have to read the specifications to see if the M.2 variants accept NVMe or SATA drives. There might be variants that will accept both NVMe and SATA....I'm not sure.

There might be limitations on the capacity of the drives you can use. I haven't checked.

I use a 500 GB capacity Western Digital M.2 NVMe drive in mine, without any problems in 3 years.

They effectively function like a high speed high capacity USB flash drive. Highly portable. The whole thing is about 1 inch by 5 inches, slightly larger than the drive itself. Takes a few minutes to install the drive in the enclosure.

I connect mine only occasionally. Don't know if you want to leave your drive connected and running at all times.

Jul 8, 2023

Above are a couple of enclosure examples. There are many others.

Some take standard 2.5 inch SATA SSDs. Others take M.2 SSDs.

You have to read the specifications to see if the M.2 variants accept NVMe or SATA drives. There might be variants that will accept both NVMe and SATA....I'm not sure.

There might be limitations on the capacity of the drives you can use. I haven't checked.

I use a 500 GB capacity Western Digital M.2 NVMe drive in mine, without any problems in 3 years.

They effectively function like a high speed high capacity USB flash drive. Highly portable. The whole thing is about 1 inch by 5 inches, slightly larger than the drive itself. Takes a few minutes to install the drive in the enclosure.

I connect mine only occasionally. Don't know if you want to leave your drive connected and running at all times.
Yeah, i'm planning to have my as a stationary unit just hanging around in my pc. But i was thinking about just buying 1 product instead of investing in a fancy enclosure as well

Yeah, i'm planning to have my as a stationary unit just hanging around in my pc. But i was thinking about just buying 1 product instead of investing in a fancy enclosure as well
The enclosure doesn't have to be "fancy", a simple one will get the job done, and you'll be able to put in it the SSD brand you prefer rather than be forced to accept whatever is inside a ready-to-use unit.

Jul 8, 2023
Have you ruled out another internal drive, rather than external?

Much much faster and you have total control over what drive.

All depends on why you need the extra storage..........
As far as i'm aware, i'm not able to fit any more internal SSDs in my computer. I'm just looking for a bulky SSD with a SATA connection slot that i'm able to detach at any time. I'm aware that these ones might be slower than the internal SSDs

Jul 8, 2023
I prefer Samsung SSDs. I have never been let down by one.

500GB example: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-t7-500gb/p/N82E16820147766

1TB example: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-t7-1tb/p/N82E16820147767
It is a rare system that cannot take another 2.5" SATA drive internally.

So, what IS this PC?
I'm not a big pc guy, so i might have confused you a little. There is a small slim SSD that is connected internally to a slot inside of my motherboard. I called that an "internal" SSD. There IS a vacant SATA slot, and i'm looking for an SSD for that slot

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not a big pc guy, so i might have confused you a little. There is a small slim SSD that is connected internally to a slot inside of my motherboard. I called that an "internal" SSD. There IS a vacant SATA slot, and i'm looking for an SSD for that slot
Right.
There would be an existing M.2 drive.
And possibly a port and mount space for a 2.5" SATA III SSD?

I'm seeing that the USB-C Samsung SSD is much faster than a SATA counterpart. Is there a catch to this? Am i just better off getting a USB-C Samsung SSD instead of a SATA one?

You are better off (for reasons of speed) getting an internal SSD, rather than an external........................UNLESS there is an over-riding reason you don't want internal.

You have not yet stated the intended purpose of this new drive as far as I can tell.

Please list specs of your system.
Also - can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Jul 8, 2023
You are better off (for reasons of speed) getting an internal SSD, rather than an external........................UNLESS there is an over-riding reason you don't want internal.

You have not yet stated the intended purpose of this new drive as far as I can tell.
I believe i stated it above.. I need an SSD to process sound files in my system, as i'm buying it for music production reasons. Constantly downloading and using these files in my apps and such. I might also install video games on it