Question SSD Check Disk on Start Up

VacheDeeBoom

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Hi all,

For background, I have an Intel 545s SSD that I've been using since late December 2019 and it has been working perfectly fine. Stored on it is my OS, programs, and documents folder while most of my games, pictures, and videos are stored on a separate HDD.

Beginning sometime last week, every time I boot up my PC, I get the Windows 10 logo and a message saying to press any key to skip the disk check. If I let it go, it scans my C drive (my SSD) and boots up normally. All other operations on my PC appear fine except for this disk check at the start of every bootup.

When I run an error check through the C Drive properties, it says it has found errors and in order to repair the drive, I would need to restart my computer. Upon restarting my computer, the check disk runs again and everything continues on as it did before with no changes.

I fear that my SSD is failing but I'm hesitant to jump to that conclusion due to the fact that I've had this SSD for little more than half a year.

Anyone happen to know what's going on and if my SSD is really failing? Any pointers would be great and I'll be happy to answer any questions that relate to this issue.

Thank you!

VacheDeeBoom

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Do you have a known good backup, routinely updated, of the entire contents of that drive?
If not, you need to.

Even if it is/was working perfectly.
Seriously.

Unfortunately, no.

In hindsight, I realize that I was/am too negligent to have ever made a back up of the drive and have been considering either buying an external drive or purchasing cloud-based backups.

popatim

Titan
Restart the PC and then Open an Admin level CMD prompt and type in CHKNTFS C:
If it says check disk is schedule but does not say the drive is dirty then run CHKNTFS /x C:

If it says the drive is dirty then I would reboot again to see if it clears. A hex editor would be needed to manually clear the dirty flag if after scanning it is still set.

VacheDeeBoom

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Restart the PC and then Open an Admin level CMD prompt and type in CHKNTFS C:
If it says check disk is schedule but does not say the drive is dirty then run CHKNTFS /x C:

If it says the drive is dirty then I would reboot again to see if it clears. A hex editor would be needed to manually clear the dirty flag if after scanning it is still set.

Rebooted and did CHKNTFS C: twice and it said that C: is dirty both times.

VacheDeeBoom

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014