[SOLVED] SSD Compatibility

Jan 18, 2020
I am in the market for an upgrade to my PC's storage, specifically looking at SSD's. The following is what I am currently interested in;

WD SN750 500GB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black

Will this be compatible with my Gigabyte Z370M DS3H motherboard?

Also, is there a better alternative within that price range and that is compatible with said motherboard?

Solution
I don't really need a 1TB SSD, I prefer performance more than storage. That's why I was suggesting the 500 GB variant instead of the 1TB.

The problem there is at least partially the definition of performance. If you want full interleaving you probably want four dies per channel, which would be 1TB with an eight-channel drive like the SN750. Yes, it's pretty fast at 512GB anyway, but larger is often faster with SSDs. Then maybe SLC performance? The WD drives have small, static SLC caches, this can make for consistent performance and steady state but worse burst performance. Are IOPS king? Then the Phison E12 or Samsung controllers are better. There are many factors to consider. Although, the 970 EVO Plus has the best all-around...
I don't really need a 1TB SSD, I prefer performance more than storage. That's why I was suggesting the 500 GB variant instead of the 1TB.

The problem there is at least partially the definition of performance. If you want full interleaving you probably want four dies per channel, which would be 1TB with an eight-channel drive like the SN750. Yes, it's pretty fast at 512GB anyway, but larger is often faster with SSDs. Then maybe SLC performance? The WD drives have small, static SLC caches, this can make for consistent performance and steady state but worse burst performance. Are IOPS king? Then the Phison E12 or Samsung controllers are better. There are many factors to consider. Although, the 970 EVO Plus has the best all-around performance profile.

Solution