[SOLVED] SSD died. Trying to install new SSD with Win10 backup but getting nowhere?

Oct 7, 2021
My previous SSD (main with Win10 on it) died. I bought a brand new Samsung SSD, installed it into m.2 slot. Now I'm trying to install and restore Windows 10 on this new SSD but I'm getting errors, and not sure what I'm doing wrong.

1. Inserted Windows 10 install USB stick
  2. Inserted Windows 10 backup external HDD
  3. Boot up the PC and Windows Boot Manager comes on, asking me to choose between Windows 32 and 64 bit. I choose 64, hit enter.
  4. Screen changes to "Loading files..."
  5. After about 1-2 minutes, a new screen that says "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device..." Status: 0xc00000e9 / An unexcepted I/0 error.

That's it. I tried a different SSD thinking maybe the brand new SSD is faulty but got the same result.

So now I'm stuck, not sure what to do... could anyone please advise on any possible options? Thank you!

Solution
create a new installer using the MS Media Creation Tool and install a fresh version on the new disk with no other disks connected to the system.
after Windows is installed you can attempt to revert back to any backup that you may have from inside the OS.
create a new installer using the MS Media Creation Tool and install a fresh version on the new disk with no other disks connected to the system.
after Windows is installed you can attempt to revert back to any backup that you may have from inside the OS.

Solution